Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

TheKleinReef

Well if you search this forum with me as the author and the word nasuta, you'll see the Kat. Zeph corrected me about a year+ ago that it was a subulata. DD does mix up their names. So let's just called it the Katropora. :lol:

and i found a similar looking coral on CC too. though a species name wasn't listed.

Good morrow people of the reef.

Question - do long spine Cardinalfish breed in captivity? At first they would all swim together but as they got used to the tank, one pair was always seen together, then slowly another pair was formed. The remaining 2 fish are not paired up though. I took some pictures showing the belly of one fish in each of the pairs. The tummy on these are noticeably different and full compared to their partner.

Here's one pair, you can see the tummy shape difference

20150427_112141.jpg

This is a closeup of the fatty in the other pair

20150427_112126.jpg

And this is a group shot of the pairs that are in a relationship. The 2 on the bottom are the ones that I suspect are pregnant.

20150427_112112.jpg

If I recall, cardinalfish are mouthbrooders. I'm excited. :)

• Like 5
Curator's Note

One of the amazing aspects of this fish is that they have been known spawn in captivity. It is difficult to tell male from female unless the male is holding fry in its mouth. Cardinalfish are mouth brooders and for several weeks a male cardinal will not eat while it is carrying babies. Swelling in the jaw, lack of appetite are obvious signs. If you watch closely, you may even see little eyeballs staring out when he aerates the eggs with water. Most of the fry might not survive, especially if in a densely populated aquarium.

• Like 1
Dr.Brain Coral

Well for one I am looking for a job and that's time consuming. School has been REALLY busy now that its the end of the year. There are others but I wont waste your time. But enough about me, how have you been?

• Like 1

Well for one I am looking for a job and that's time consuming. School has been REALLY busy now that its the end of the year. There are others but I wont waste your time. But enough about me, how have you been?

I'm hanging in there. :)

• Like 1

So it's 'twin day' at my niece and nephews school. Texting with the parent of whomever they picked to be a twin to see what they have in common that they can wear to school for the day. Today was wacky hair day, my niece went in 4 pig tails and a Mississippi hair pouf. My nephew had spikey hair. Lots of hair spray.

• Like 3
Pinner Reef

Kat, the fry of cardinals like to hang out in long spine urchins for protection after leaving dad. Normally I'd tell you to start feeding the male extra so he doesn't get hungry, but I doubt that's an issue with you. If she is preggers I'd think she's early in the term as the ladies get quite chubby toward the end. This was prolly all covered in the thread I skipped over but maybe it will help.

• Like 1

Good morrow people of the reef.

Question - do long spine Cardinalfish breed in captivity? At first they would all swim together but as they got used to the tank, one pair was always seen together, then slowly another pair was formed. The remaining 2 fish are not paired up though. I took some pictures showing the belly of one fish in each of the pairs. The tummy on these are noticeably different and full compared to their partner.

Here's one pair, you can see the tummy shape difference

This is a closeup of the fatty in the other pair

And this is a group shot of the pairs that are in a relationship. The 2 on the bottom are the ones that I suspect are pregnant.

If I recall, cardinalfish are mouthbrooders. I'm excited. :)

This is so exciting! Your fish look spectacularly healthy and in good color. :wub:

• Like 1

Well, it's official. The white flower nem is stupid. I moved it about a week ago to a spot facing the front of the tank, it had light, it had a rock to attach to and sand to bury itself into. But nooooooo, wasn't happy. Walked all over my zoas to a crevice behind the zoas and out of sight of everything. :angry:

• Like 1