Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Well. I don't have the best track record of my adventures to Home Depot or Lowes. And adventures they are. But I suppose I'm overdue for some entertainment at my own expense. :huh:

Lol yes poking the coral. Well I'm glad. You've heard of the tang police, right? Well I was worried I'd have to call the coral police (There's such a thing, right?)

Yes I'm aware that was a lame attempt at humor. :unsure:

Coral police? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Well. I don't have the best track record of my adventures to Home Depot or Lowes. And adventures they are. But I suppose I'm overdue for some entertainment at my own expense. :huh:

it can be amazing how many things in those stores can be used in an aquarium
  • Like 1

Beautiful frags and corals! Makes me want to go shopping. And upgrade to a 40B with a sump so I have space…. (I did NOT just say that out loud.)

My katropora is still encrusting like a boss, still neon green with purple PE - but I cannot get it to start growing/moving up and out. I'm going to step up my testing/dosing game and see if that doesn't shake her up a little.

• Like 1

Beautiful frags and corals! Makes me want to go shopping. And upgrade to a 40B with a sump so I have space…. (I did NOT just say that out loud.)

My katropora is still encrusting like a boss, still neon green with purple PE - but I cannot get it to start growing/moving up and out. I'm going to step up my testing/dosing game and see if that doesn't shake her up a little.

what are your parameters, what kind of lights and schedule?

I want polyp extension. :(

Darn you flame angel.

love those fish and that's the reason I can't keep one.
  • Like 1

That's because you distract all the workers with your heels :D

Heck if you where down here in Houston , I bet you'd have every Hispanic plumber trying to help you and even offer to plum it for free.

I waited for a Lowes guy (old Fart) 35 mins just to help me find a 1 1/4 -3/4 reducer.

Strangely enough, neither Lowe's nor Home Depot in my area had this when I needed one a few months ago. But I found brown ones in the irrigation department.

It's healthy but nowhere close to the picture Mark has. The picture they had when I bought it was browner too. Perhaps their colony browned out. Hopefully it is still the same coral, just needs TLC.

It's the frag on the right in that picture

Why does Google maps have pac man. driving me crazy

Purple plasma looks almost like a gorg. I like it

That's a frag from Harry. It's very hairy. :lol:

Got it in August 2013. It was a decent sized coral, then in the tank upgrade it became poop brown and almost completely STNd. The dead parts grew bryopsis. Cut it off. The coral came back, the purple is looking good on it and it's hairy again.

The Daily Polyp

New UC frags

20150401_125838.jpg

Nice. I hope it colors quickly and I'll be bugging you for water tests so we can see what it likes. :) The polyps on mine are big and shaggy now, and as brown as can be.

• Like 1

Heh. Yeah. It's the shoes, not the fittings falling on my head, not the pipes sticking out of my purse and the plumber froM hell that is always around when I visit

I've not really had a bad Lowes incident unless they are out of some item.

Errbady's been harping on me for parameters. This is for you harpies. :lol:

Tests are wacky.

ALK

Red Sea Alk 7.6

New Red Sea kit Alk 6.4

CALCIUM

Red Sea Cal 370

New Red Sea kit 420

MAGNESIUM

Red Sea Mag 1000 (did test twice second time 1040)

New Red Sea kit 1120

Salifert Mag 1470

PHOS

Salifert Phosphate between 0.03 and 0.10

Red Sea phosphate 0.36

NITRATE

Salifert Nitrate between 5 and 10

Red Sea Nitrate 2ppm

Historically, all numbers are about in range. Phosphate is higher than normal if you go with the red sea numbers. Corals aren't brown so not sure if I should go with the salifert results.

• Like 5

I'm not worried about my phosphate and nitrate levels. Visually my tank looks good to me. I have some high nutrient related troubles like a few patches of cyano which I am working to reduce now that I am home. I am worried about the alk and calcium. I've been working to raise the alk and it is not responding. Maybe it's the weather, between Markalot, Jedibear, Arce and a few others, it seems the ALK is not increasing even after upping the dosing. Has to be a function of aliens.

• Like 1

I'm sad to note that Sam the mandarin is on his last legs. He isn't responding too well, has been hiding more since 2 weeks. Found him motionless just now, he's alive but probably not for long. 20.gif

what are your parameters, what kind of lights and schedule?

Speaking of all this testing, I posted my params in my thread for your perusal. ;)

So sorry to hear about Sam. :(