Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Good morning from the reef which looks like this just before the mid-day light cycle

26730857735_61031dba38_k.jpg

Last night NYfishies and his super awesome lady came over for dinner, we had a LOT of wine. :)

Got my Triton tests, not sure how everything is not dead. :blink:

The red flags:

I've got copper

High salinity

High Magnesisum

Super high phosphates and phosphorus

High Iodine

Low Bromide (whatever that is)

High Lithium (which all US tank have apparently)

Benny was right, don't calibrate with anything other than 35ppt solution. I use the red sea refractometer and Red Sea instructs you to use RODI for calibration. So My tank has been at 40 for god knows how long. Benny told me so. He's allowed to posta Kate Upton picture as a prize. :closedeyes:

I've been hand dosing magnesium but not with any regularity. It was Kent Tech M, I always said I wouldn't raise it to 1600 which is needed to kill bryopsis. Well guess what. I raised to over 1600 - explains the browning on some SPS. Explains no more bryopsis. :) There's a happy here.

I was dosing lugols a couple of drops every other day or something, so iodine is high.

The copper though. I threw in cuprisorb and a new polyfilter is coming tomorrow so I'll get it out, but why is it there to begin with, where is it coming from. Is it my vertex magnet cleaner or the IM gourmet feeder ring:

26705265066_6c11829aae_k.jpg

26638070702_c1ee293d45_k.jpg

I caved and ordered Phosphate Rx. With phosphates that high how did my macros in the fuge melt. I had my urchins there for a few weeks, did they eat it all. I have some browning in some corals but with phosphate that high these colors are still awesome.

I'm still learning what the test results mean. I'll post more as I learn more. I've taken steps to correct the salinity, iodine, copper, magnesium and phosphates.

• Like 5

Can you take make copies of your test results or send the PDF to me and I'll crop and post?

... and I'll ask you this time, why change anything if everything looks so good? :)

• Like 2

26127506813_939fbde6d7_b.jpg

26127506453_3e36c549a5_b.jpg

26127507393_c09a935d86_b.jpg

26127508443_0cc79df3d1_b.jpg

26127507833_7190d9730b_b.jpg

... and I'll ask you this time, why change anything if everything looks so good? :)

I've been dosing NoPox, I had felt my test kits were wrong, ItzJu came over a couple of weeks ago and his Hanna read high. There is SPS browning, which can also be caused by the high magnesium. I'm only correcting the phosphate and copper. The rest just has to fall in line. I'm not chasing numbers but I have a report that says some things are out of whack, just correcting those.

• Like 2

I think Bromine and Iodine numbers are interesting, everything else looks ok. Copper is interesting but might have been due to a recent trace dosing? Li is high in every tank that uses a US made salt.

I think Bromine and Iodine numbers are interesting, everything else looks ok. Copper is interesting but might have been due to a recent trace dosing? Li is high in every tank that uses a US made salt.

Right, not worried about Lithium. Iodine is because of my lugols dosing.

Copper is interesting.

I've had copper show up on my Triton tests, too.

One possibility is that some brands of dried foods contain it- I had one that is alleged to (changed, now). I've also heard the theory that some mari-cultured frags are joined to their bases using auto body-filler which contains copper.

Who knows? I have cuprisorb running permanently but the bad news on the polyfilter seems to be that it probably won't reduce copper below the kind of levels that you have at the moment.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

If I was coming up tomorrow I'd drop my Lanthanum to you till you got yours. I bought a litre of it, but I only do 1 drop at a time and put my floss filtre on there to catch the precipitates.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I tried to explain that the level of copper she has, which is 0.00456ppm, is absolutely of no concern, but she still flipped out over it :rolleyes:

I've had copper show up on my Triton tests, too.

One possibility is that some brands of dried foods contain it- I had one that is alleged to (changed, now). I've also heard the theory that some mari-cultured frags are joined to their bases using auto body-filler which contains copper.

Who knows? I have cuprisorb running permanently but the bad news on the polyfilter seems to be that it probably won't reduce copper below the kind of levels that you have at the moment.

Some of them are using copper wire to mount them to and running an electric current through them. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/314780-vengs-20l-new-scape/?p=4456528

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

Mornin reef! Still looks good to me!

Don't chase numbers Kat, KISS Don't make too many changes too fast.

Ben I'm disappointed that you didn't post anything Kate

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Benny was right, don't calibrate with anything other than 35ppt solution. I use the red sea refractometer and Red Sea instructs you to use RODI for calibration. So My tank has been at 40 for god knows how long. Benny told me so. He's allowed to posta Kate Upton picture as a prize. :closedeyes:

boom.gif

Ben I'm disappointed that you didn't post anything Kate

Me too!! I totally missed that part of the post!!

• Like 8

if ur tank looks that good with messed up parameters, i am gonna pour random bottles of crap into my tank now....

Don't make me come over there! The parameters didn't go our of order overnight, they've been building. So the corals and fish got used to being in stupid conditions. Hopefully they won't croak when they get back to a better environment. Where's my amazon delivery I was supposed to get my Phosphate Rx today.

Good grief! That's it for me with base rocks!

Yup, that was a crazy discovery by Veng. I can't understand why the coral looked so good before he discovered the wire. I don't understand Bennys comment about running an electric current though.

My day's turning to shit too, it must be contagious.

I've had a shitty week actually. Absolutely shitty.

How many times can I say shitty? Is it like the "like" limit on the forum?

SHITTY!

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Good grief! That's it for me with base rocks!

You need to inspect those rocks. If you're buying direct then you need to cut them off and make your own out of Emaco or epoxy. The ONLY place I trust is Fiji.

Don't make me come over there! The parameters didn't go our of order overnight, they've been building. So the corals and fish got used to being in stupid conditions. Hopefully they won't croak when they get back to a better environment. Where's my amazon delivery I was supposed to get my Phosphate Rx today.

Yup, that was a crazy discovery by Veng. I can't understand why the coral looked so good before he discovered the wire. I don't understand Bennys comment about running an electric current though.

I've had a shitty week actually. Absolutely shitty.

How many times can I say shitty? Is it like the "like" limit on the forum?

SHITTY!

Years ago when you could get Marshall Islands rock we found a 7.7 Japanese bullet in a piece of rock. My buddy kept losing stuff in one tank and I said we need to pull your rock and look at it. 2nd piece had a blue/green mark on it. We chopped it open and found the bullet. after that, no problems at all.

• Like 4
Mariaface

So yesterday morning, I found Batman harassing a hammer coral head to the point where it had receded into its skeleton, which I could see... :wacko:

But I basted him a little bit and he crawled away, and once the lights turned on the hammer came back out. So that's good! I'll try to dirty up the tank a bit more to make food for him; I know the glass has been lacking in film algae..

In better news, the hydroids are slowly dying/starving (or being eaten by Batman as he noms on algae). But in less awesome news, they are obviously still alive where they're attached to the corals I need to feed. :furious:

• Like 3