Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

jedimasterben

Thanks. I've seen a couple of granulosa pix which seem pretty close, too. It's a nice, contrasting form, whatever it is.

Except for a very short list of corals with extremely unique growth patterns, acropora pretty much need DNA testing to know the species, and most of them you see acros listed as are incorrect :)

• Like 2

Except for a very short list of corals with extremely unique growth patterns, acropora pretty much need DNA testing to know the species, and most of them you see acros listed as are incorrect :)

Yeah, speculating is half the fun, though.

All 3 of our first pups were all night things as was Emmy. Charlie needed to be fed every 4 hours when we got him, same with Benny. Katie just had a major abdominal operation and she screamed the whole night. I was up with each of them for weeks.

:D

But too many people pass it on as fact when no one really knows. :)

True. At least with corals no one is cross-breeding and hybridising. I used to breed pythons and was keen to maintain locale-specific groups but provenance was a nightmare. So many people seemed to think that finding a similar-looking photo in their My First Big Book of Snakes was something akin to a full genome sequence.

• Like 2

True. At least with corals no one is cross-breeding and hybridising. I used to breed pythons and was keen to maintain locale-specific groups but provenance was a nightmare. So many people seemed to think that finding a similar-looking photo in their My First Big Book of Snakes was something akin to a full genome sequence.

Not yet, when the assholes figure out how to do that, rest assured there will be Photon valida, Snowflake carolina and Patchwork yongei.

• Like 1

Looks like I got that shipment out of The Solomons just in the nick of time Kat. They've had 6 major earthquakes there in the last 30 hours. omgomgomg

What happens to fish/corals/reefs in an earthquake? We see what happens on land, but has anyone seen what it does in the water?

• Like 3
jedimasterben

What happens to fish/corals/reefs in an earthquake? We see what happens on land, but has anyone seen what it does in the water?

It will stir up a dickload of silt that will last a few days, and it can shake colonies loose or just pieces of them (though this also without earthquakes, too).

• Like 2

It will stir up a dickload of silt that will last a few days, and it can shake colonies loose or just pieces of them (though this also without earthquakes, too).

I'd imagine that undamaged colonies would be on a friggin' feeding frenzy until the water cleared. That whole side of the world is very active geologically right now.

• Like 2

Hello from the worlds sexiest barista!! Tank is lovely as always

I'll have an espresso thankyou.

When does the last piece come out?

Not sure. What is remaining is the mortared corals. I will begin dismantling tomorrow but first I have to make water.

• Like 2

I had a dive in Cozumel in 2006 just a couple months after the hurricane... needless to say the reef didn't look to good. Lots of broken corals and dead corals but lots of small new growth as well..... all the fish were still around but hiding best they could. Wish I had pictures but underwater cameras were hard to get back then

• Like 2

Bon voyage Pete!

How is Bogi doing?

Thank you for asking. I am truly lucky that his worst day was the first one and he has been progressively better. Today is exactly a week since I moved him and I have been leaving for 3-4 hours without feeling guilty finally. That first day we slept on the floor by the door for 3-4 hours. Then he went and sat on the couch himself so we slept on the couch the first 2 nights. On the 3rd day we finally slept in my bed. He still cries for no reason occasionally. I'm trying to re-learn what his crying means, it used to mean different things at the old apartment, it is different here.

• Like 4

My update really isn't an update. It's very cold here and I've been procrastinating moving more corals over especially since it involves starting to break apart the main left side structure. I moved some crabs, snails, limpets and 1 urchin. Might move some tomorrow. I've been trying to match the alkalinity between the tanks.

:tears:

Pete the Pistol decided to go to the gun range in heaven. He was about 3-4 inches from snout to tail so I'm hoping that he was just old. He's lived with me since November 2012. 4 years is not a bad run, is it? He was rather big when I got him, he moved a couple of times. He was named Blue, then Mantis, then Doc. But he's been the happiest when he had his anemone. :(

I have some fuzzy algae on the holding tank glass which the snails seem to like. Nitrates were zero so I've been adding some stump remover. Should really move some of the left side in here, move the tank entirely within the next 10 days. Really.

My nephew turned 12 today. Wow.

• Like 6