ReefCleaners.org

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

The negatives of having a halide right next to the sliding door leading to the backyard

9CC9D763-05D9-43FA-9FAB-5B185CE9766D_zps

They went out doing what they loved, brad. Staring into the great beyond and attempting to decipher all of life's mysteries....until all the blood in their tiny little bug bodies flash-dried from the heat of that metal halide, that is. B)

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit no FTS shit

Haha tank is gross, but the mangroves are growing quick. Eventually I will get this tank all pretty and FTS worthy. Just been so busy with travel.

Thanks man. You making a comeback?

As of right now, probably not. I am living in Hawaii so I'm still getting my fair share of aquaria and the beauty it can bring!

Thoughts on filling in the sides with more mangroves? Maybe 5 more on each side in the ultra deep sand bed part?

Thoughts on filling in the sides with more mangroves? Maybe 5 more on each side in the ultra deep sand bed part?

I think part of the reason this tank looks so good is its simplicity and minimalistic look. I would say leave as is, but it is your tank so you should do what looks good to you!

Gross is good makes seeing a gross tank going from bad to good and gives us noobs some confidence that we can get out the ugly stage also

Give us another fts so we can see how its looking!!

You guys asked lol. Current state

CB69FBC9-387E-4AE6-9EC3-137B10A2289E_zps

That growth tho...

45F208EA-B838-49EE-8AE9-FC82FAE2ADB9_zps

This one is on fire

73252F1C-2CC2-4EC6-8370-73C81FD21719_zps

I haven't been touching the tank. I'm just letting the mangroves grow like crazy and get healthy.

D53C2FD6-736B-4C5A-8922-70B0A1BBDA18_zps

Mr. Microscope

Just looks like a diatom outbreak to me. Granted, a pretty bad one, but I imagine a combination of some snails and cleaning the glass will improve the situation. The banded trochus I picked up from Unique Corals did a fantastic job cleaning up my diatoms.

I'm setting up a small tank with a mangrove in it soon any tips?

Keep dirty water lol. I really don't have any good advice. I really haven't touched the tank at all since setting it up. I think at one point the water was around 90* for a month or two, and now it seems to be back to a normal temperature.

It is very hard to kill mangroves.

I used "live mud" from ebay, not sure if it has helped or not.

• 2 weeks later...

The legendary, d2mini, practically made an exact replica of this tank

Finally got the Mangrove Tank set up.
It's the last piece of the puzzle!
Plumbing is now DONE! tea.gif

Specs:
Glass Cages 18x18x16 tall.
24 lbs of Walt Smith's Fiji Mud
60 lbs of Caribsea Special Grade Arag-Alive Sand
200w Fluorescent with Daylight Spectrum bulb
I happened to have this fixture from my previous build. Will eventually look for something a little smaller/cooler.
4 Red Mangroves
2 Banggai Cardinals

My goal is to have at least one good tree going.
The Banggai Cardinals will go in tonight along with one of my giant red brittle stars.
And that will finally empty the holding tub!

Laying in the mud...
i-n3LjDzB.jpg

Sand...
i-QB3xQHR.jpg

Finished plumbing and filled with water.
Ended up with 7-8" of substrate at the tallest area.

i-9KztQbC.jpg

It's not the prettiest setup with the plumbing and overflow but it's in the fish room.
I just want a bigass tree like Julian Sprung! icon_biggrin.gif
But I was going for more of a planted tank look and didn't want 6" or more of nasty substrate up agains the front glass.

These propagules are always so short. Might end up having to float them for a bit until i get some strong roots.
We'll see how it goes.

pretty cool

i think its time for fish

Yeah, I keep buying diseased fish from the lfs. It's only 10 minutes away so I keep giving them another chance. I hate crossing the bay to the east side, but gonna have to inorder to get quality fish. Or order online.

Archived