ReefCleaners.org

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

I don't see any harm in a dsb especially in a tank that is mangrove dedicated as you can really stock the tank full of sandbed sifting critters. I imagine nitrates will be nonexistent in this type of system too. Basically an 18x18x10 or something I think would be ideal after the sand bed was in.

I also have some planters for a riparium type tank that supposedly can support mangroves but I have never tried... riparium supply may be something that would be worth taking a look at.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to put any other corals in the tank. just doing mangroves, couple bangaii cardinals, and a few chocolate chip starfish. I want 95% of my aquarium energy on my other tank. Need this one to be as low maintenance as possible.

Ahhh... my bad. It sounds like a super cool idea.

Damm picture 8 would look awesome put 2 small cubes on each side and make some sort of passage way it would look amazballs

I could probably pull it off with the 18" cube. Make a line on each side of the tank and angle them.

Suggestions on anything I can use to raise up the bottom of the tank so I don't have to buy 900 lbs of sand?

well isn't the base like miracle mud or whatever substrate then like 6 inches of sand over that?

well isn't the base like miracle mud or whatever substrate then like 6 inches of sand over that?

Don't think I'm gonna use mud. Haven't read anything that says they grow any better in mud over sand

I think the choice is the 18" cube in terms of fitting the room (kitchen) the best. The rectangle just doesn't look right. It won't be on that dresser, haven't had a chance to throw it in the dumpster since moving

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/82284C33-4878-4354-B4F5-1587113F9F77_zpsozcutwik.jpg.html]82284C33-4878-4354-B4F5-1587113F9F77_zps[/url]

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/79778BB1-BA3B-4A23-90C5-736E4DE08B96_zpsxjimmpru.jpg.html]79778BB1-BA3B-4A23-90C5-736E4DE08B96_zps[/url]

well after you take an 8 inch cube and add an 8inch sand bed it ends up being a shallow cube lol.

Another thing maybe to experiment with would be the seagrass propagules liveaquaria sells on DD. Nothing overboard but I bet they would may for an interesting backdrop.

Also I thought about it and an ideal inhabitant would be a spotted garden eel. cutest little eels ever poking out about 6 inches from the substrate all day.

well after you take an 8 inch cube and add an 8inch sand bed it ends up being a shallow cube lol.

Another thing maybe to experiment with would be the seagrass propagules liveaquaria sells on DD. Nothing overboard but I bet they would may for an interesting backdrop.

Also I thought about it and an ideal inhabitant would be a spotted garden eel. cutest little eels ever poking out about 6 inches from the substrate all day.

Leaning towards the cube.

Eels/snakes freak me out haha. Everything I've read says they need a top to keep them from escaping, so don't think that will work.

Ooooh I like that idea hey. Kinda reminds me of seabass' seagrass tank

Nice tank. sounds like he had problems with the deep sand bed though

I like what giga did with the caulerpa as well.

I have 3 of these year old groves coming next week

B53C37E4-2BCE-486D-94A0-161AA13B72F2_zps

And 10 of these 16" ones coming on Saturday

C2CB315A-EA85-4B6E-8159-089E5CE37A3B_zps

Don't think I'm gonna use mud. Haven't read anything that says they grow any better in mud over sand

I've got >1mm sugarfine sand that I've grown mine in since it was a propagule, it's been perfectly fine in that. about 2" deep and I can see dark pockets even in my pico.

I'm an advocate of the slope look, it cuts down the need for over the top levels of sand and adds a layer of depth, while being perfect for mangroves

I've got >1mm sugarfine sand that I've grown mine in since it was a propagule, it's been perfectly fine in that. about 2" deep and I can see dark pockets even in my pico.

I'm an advocate of the slope look, it cuts down the need for over the top levels of sand and adds a layer of depth, while being perfect for mangroves

The main reason for a deep sand bed is to cut down on the 18" height of the cube.

Leaning towards the cube.

Eels/snakes freak me out haha. Everything I've read says they need a top to keep them from escaping, so don't think that will work.

Nice tank. sounds like he had problems with the deep sand bed though

look up garden eels from liveaquaria and tanks with them, they are super cute and eels freak me out too these don't have the satanic look of the morays or snowflakes though. Saw em at an aquarium and fell in love lol.

also gigas caulerpa was awesome too, I would let it infest my tank if I could source whatever he used locally.

Now this looks like an epic little project. I would love to get some mangroves for my sump as the PAR38 bulb I'm using has fried all my Macro Algae

Always wanted a mangrove tank... good luck!
Now this looks like an epic little project. I would love to get some mangroves for my sump as the PAR38 bulb I'm using has fried all my Macro Algae

Thanks! Really excited for this one

Ordered some more stuff. Decided to try out a wp10. I want the tank to sit almost flush with the wall, so no room for mp10. I also don't think I am going to run lily pipes and a canister. Between the mangroves and caulerpa, I can't see a need for a canister.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/AFF9FA97-29EA-4680-9EE3-83EA6EE8ABDB_zpsgdhm3oln.png.html'>AFF9FA97-29EA-4680-9EE3-83EA6EE8ABDB_zps

Archived