SaltCritters.com

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

dzmfkrdzrosieperez

I currently have a huge coco worm. Had him for around one and a half years now. Doesnt require any special care but i do notice if i dont feed phyto that the crown colour is alot duller and not as expanded as often.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will probably find some or be able to order some at either Aquatic Collection or the Reef Raft place in SF.

You will probably find some or be able to order some at either Aquatic Connection or the Reef Raft place in SF.

Do you mean aquatic collection and California reef co (renamed from reef raft), both in Fremont?

Cali reef co said they'll only order them when they're on sale and aquatic collection doesn't get them.

Anyone have experience with tiger tail seahorses?

You got good height on your tank, volume isn't bad for 2, temp if you can get it around 73/74, get rid of the chromis, and cover your powerhead with pantyhose. feed them mysis twice a day, and they'll be fine. Looks like A good tank for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the grasses, didn't think I would like the taller stringier stuff til i saw it, def good eye there. I think the rocks pretty much the only thing that needs some growth on it now... sponges or halimeda mixed in it... maybe some bushy maidens hair or something just in small patches.to get the full planted saltwater tank effect.

Maybe a nem and tons of sexy shrimp...

As for seahorses... they are cool but the temp requirements to prevent infections are a little too stringent for my taste, i keep my house warmer than that in the summers and would end up needing a chiller.

I really like the grasses, didn't think I would like the taller stringier stuff til i saw it, def good eye there. I think the rocks pretty much the only thing that needs some growth on it now... sponges or halimeda mixed in it... maybe some bushy maidens hair or something just in small patches.to get the full planted saltwater tank effect.

Maybe a nem and tons of sexy shrimp...

As for seahorses... they are cool but the temp requirements to prevent infections are a little too stringent for my taste, i keep my house warmer than that in the summers and would end up needing a chiller.

Agreed. There are plenty of other cool fish you could get. IMO some grasses, macro, and softies would make a wonderful species tank for a smaller predator fish such as a Leaffish, Waspfish, or small angler.

• 2 weeks later...

And maybe some sponges!

I believe sponges need excellent water quality, which this tank definitely doesn't have lol.

HarryPotter

I believe sponges need excellent water quality, which this tank definitely doesn't have lol.

Haha I think its the opposite! Sponges are filter feeders, so input dirty water and let out clean water. Natural Filtration!

Haha I think its the opposite! Sponges are filter feeders, so input dirty water and let out clean water. Natural Filtration!

That's what I thought too, but liveaquaria says excellent water quality.

Just went through Giga's Mangrove Forest thread for the 100th time, I need to start moving on this tank.

Just went through Giga's Mangrove Forest thread for the 100th time, I need to start moving on this tank.

I think it looks awesome right now haha...

I think it looks awesome right now haha...

Haha thanks. I want to get some inverts and some macro algaes. Surpringly the manatee grass is still alive, now just waiting for it to start growing out.

I want to plant everything I want before getting a lion fish.

Brad - This is such a clean and cool idea. I love it. Not sure how I never saw this thread in the past. I may need to try something similar....

Justind823

I miss that tank. I think LA mostly means a stable mature tank. As your tank ages you might try your hand at a few. There are some pretty lower maintenance photosynthetic sponges out there that would be your best option.

Get to work man!

Haha thanks. I want to get some inverts and some macro algaes. Surpringly the manatee grass is still alive, now just waiting for it to start growing out.

I love the macro idea...I really have never seen a SW planted tank to be honest...but I think it has the potential to look absolutely stunning.

So are you getting a lionfish? I love that idea :)

Yup, I am going on a 2 week vacation soon, so I will wait till I come back.

Did you get all your lion fish from bay area stores?

Yup, I am going on a 2 week vacation soon, so I will wait till I come back.

Did you get all your lion fish from bay area stores?

So exciting! The lionfish owners on here seem to be few and far between. I only know of myself and Rehype. What species do you want to get?

Yes, I got all three locally. The Fu Manchu and Antennata are both from Aquatic Collection in Hayward and the dwarf zebra is from Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. Aquarium Concepts keeps getting in a few dwarf zebras from what I've seen, but not any other species lately. Aquatic Collection has been getting in a bunch lately. I was there last weekend and they had a fu manchu, 4 dwarf zebras, and a couple of the larger species.

Archived