Cultivated Reef

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

Took a trip to the California Academy of Sciences on 11/09, and between that and Giga's tanks, put me over the edge.

Equipment

• 18" Low Iron Cube
  • 70w FNI Metal Halide
  • DoAqua! Lily pipes
  • Eheim 2213 canister filter
  • Hydor Inline 200w heater
  • Jebao wp-10
Live stuff
  • 1 Chromis
  • Red Mangroves
  • Macros
  • Hypnea Pannosa

• Botryocladia Sp.

• H. Gibessii

• Turtle Grass

• Caulerpa Prolifera

• Halimeda Opuntia

• Pine Cone Algae

• Dragon's Breath

• Eucheuma Spinosum

FTS

7/18/15

Mangrove%20Macro%20Tank_zps4dfmjwb1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a trip to the California Academy of Sciences on 11/09, and between that and Giga's tanks, put me over the edge.

Equipment

• 18" Low Iron Cube
  • 70w FNI Metal Halide
  • DoAqua! Lily pipes
  • Eheim 2213 canister filter
  • Hydor Inline 200w heater

Live stuff

• Red Mangroves - Ordered a few 16" on 11/10
  • Chocolate chip stars - When ready
  • Bangaii or yellow striped cardinals - When Ready
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Various crabs

Thanks for looking!

Yes! I've always loved that tank! You should try some clams, macro, and softies like in their shallow reef.

Need feedback :

1. Place mangroves in a mix of mud and sand into a 12" cube and place the cube in the corner of the tank. I will then take rock to cover the 12" cube
  2. Make a deep 6-7" sandbed and have the mangroves in the middle of the tank

California Academy of Sciences

9C6D224B-64D4-4CFE-915E-D95DA5C8DDC7_zps

552DFD6B-9FCA-487D-BC16-E73DE9861830_zps

D6543FCE-7B32-4EC0-B337-7E57F29D75E5_zps

This is sort of the corner look I am talking about

EB6F3362-3590-495F-B6BD-70EFE224093B_zps

Middle of the tank IMO would look cooler. If you have the 12x12 cube, you could fill it with sand and place it in the middle of the bigger cube, and have a foam/rock wall hide it.

Middle of the tank IMO would look cooler. If you have the 12x12 cube, you could fill it with sand and place it in the middle of the bigger cube, and have a foam/rock wall hide it.

Problem with a 12" cube in the middle would be only 6" of space in each direction. Plus the rock wall maybe taking up 2" on each side only leaves about 4" of sand space.

I'm gonna mock it up tonight, I have an 8" cube that I use for ATO that I can test out.

Clear up confusion. I would actually go with this size cube

In the middle

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/D12C5AAC-FBEF-449C-BC4B-D5E13F579A0D_zps02jerc7u.jpg.html'>D12C5AAC-FBEF-449C-BC4B-D5E13F579A0D_zps

In the corner

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/EA95142D-051B-4FD6-96C7-B90C3FA44B53_zpsufwcmvis.jpg.html'>EA95142D-051B-4FD6-96C7-B90C3FA44B53_zps

Then cover the mini cube in rock

Or don't plant them in a cube

how high are you mounting the Halide?

how small is that cube?

cant wait to see this thing happen

Probably put the halide like 12" above the mangroves. Small cube is 8"

Clear up confusion. I would actually go with this size cube

In the middle

D12C5AAC-FBEF-449C-BC4B-D5E13F579A0D_zps

In the corner

EA95142D-051B-4FD6-96C7-B90C3FA44B53_zps

Then cover the mini cube in rock

Or don't plant them in a cube

this looks epic! :D

second one. more room around the sides will make a cooler scape than playing with less room around each side.

Yea, I'm leaning towards the corner. Mangroves should be here Saturday.

Or maybe no cube. Just build the back corner up with sand and stick them back there. We will see

Yea, I'm leaning towards the corner. Mangroves should be here Saturday.

Or maybe no cube. Just build the back corner up with sand and stick them back there. We will see

what if you siliconed some panels in place to keep the sand/mud in place instead of using an actual cube?

what if you siliconed some panels in place to keep the sand/mud in place instead of using an actual cube?

I don't really want to potentially ruin the tank with siliconing things, incase I want to reuse it again for something else.

I'm gonna go to the ADA store this weekend and see what other smaller tanks they have to use as a planter pot.

Does this work with mangroves too, to create awesome root scape?

3E9C6C8C-00E9-4AF4-9B95-22B7D773C9F0_zps

I believe I asked this a while back and found that mangroves roots don't really behave like other trees roots that hug rock. But that is from memory back on gigas old build I believe and am not sure when I asked lol.

My preference is the corner overhanging the red of the tank, but the middle should be sweet too

Yea, gonna do the corner. Mangrove seller was out of town till today, so won't be sent until Monday :(

Hopefully make the new stand tonight and paint the halide fixture.

I believe I asked this a while back and found that mangroves roots don't really behave like other trees roots that hug rock. But that is from memory back on gigas old build I believe and am not sure when I asked lol.

Bummer, would be pretty awesome. I guess the awesome root structure just comes from age, versus forcing it with a rock. Giga has nice roots.

It's what I did when my tank was up. That last pic is what convinced me

Now I am rethinking how I want this 18" cube to be set up. I really wanted this to be a zero cost build (besides mangroves, sand, livestock), 18" height really isn't ideal.

Do I just not fill the cube all the way? Do I make an extremely deep sand bed to raise the mangroves? (Going back to hey's idea of a deep sand bed, but have the stand built up around it, to hide it a little)

I like the roots sticking out of the water.

What about against a side in the middle?

So you can still put things around it in a U shape.

I am not going to put any other corals in the tank. just doing mangroves, couple bangaii cardinals, and a few chocolate chip starfish. I want 95% of my aquarium energy on my other tank. Need this one to be as low maintenance as possible.

Archived