ReefCleaners.org

maroon clown appears to be getting aggressive

jamescon85

Hi all,

I have had a maroon clown in my 130 litre for around 3 months now, he's been with a firefish and a green chromis. A few weeks ago I added a coral beauty and 3 days later it was dead, at first I thought this was bad luck but now I think it's my maroon. I added a scooter blennt a month ago and he's fine, so I added a cardinal on Saturday and today I have come back to the maroon chasing and attacking it,I have removed the cardinal but I think its too late for it. Am I going to be able to add more fish? Is this the maroon getting aggressive? Cheers

From what I've heard, yes, maroons are more aggressive. I have one in my 12 gallon with a tiny yellow tail damsel, and the poor thing gets chased all around. However, he must be quicker because I've never seen any damage.

I was seriously considering taking the maroon back, but the other day I bought a royal gramma basslet. I thought for sure the maroon would bully him as well. Turns out the basslet is bigger than the maroon, now peace is fully restored throughout my tank. Yes, there are stereotypes for compatibility, but I think sometimes it's just trial and error.

From what I've heard, yes, maroons are more aggressive. I have one in my 12 gallon with a tiny yellow tail damsel, and the poor thing gets chased all around. However, he must be quicker because I've never seen any damage.

I was seriously considering taking the maroon back, but the other day I bought a royal gramma basslet. I thought for sure the maroon would bully him as well. Turns out the basslet is bigger than the maroon, now peace is fully restored throughout my tank. Yes, there are stereotypes for compatibility, but I think sometimes it's just trial and error.

Maroon clowns grow large and as they age they tend to get even more aggressive. I would just keep an eye on your fish as time passes in case you need to remove the maroon.

It's too bad as they are beautiful fish.

They're touch and go. Some are like big cuddly teddy bears that you can hand feed and pretty much pet, others are demon clowns. Sounds like you ended up with one of the later.

Archived