Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion 10/20 lighting question

da1001

Hey all, I am considering getting one of the new Fusion 10 or 20s, I know the standard 8 watt LEDs being shipped wont cut it, but I was checking out the aquarium specialty website earlier and they have a page showing that they will shortly be upgrading their LED from 8 to 18 watt lights, 1 18 watt fixture for the 10 and 2 fixtures on the 20. Do you all think this would be enough power to run most corals? I have nowhere near enough LED knowledge to guess on that, so anyone have experience with 18 watt fixtures that could chime in? Link to the items im talking about:

Fusion 10: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/innovative-marine-nuvo-fusion-nano-10-gallon-premium-starter-kit

Fusion 20: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/innovative-marine-nuvo-fusion-nano-20-gallon-premium-starter-kit-13603

That light seems to be brand new. I haven't seen any reviews out on it, just the product announcement.

I made the mistake of buying a light under similar circumstances when I started out, and it was a waste of money. I don't know whether this one is any good or not, just saying that it's hard to tell without hearing from anyone with hands on experience with it.

I'm ordering a Nanobox Mini Tide for my Fusion 10, but that's quite a bit more money that this one. If you're looking in the $100 or less price range, one option you might consider is the Coral Compulsion PAR30 or PAR38 bulb. I've used the PAR30 with great results, and lots of folks here have used both with consistent positive feedback. You can get either one for under $100 and buy a cheap lamp holder from Target or Walmart.

The PAR38 is dimmable, and the PAR30 is not. So you have to move the PAR30 up and down to control how bright things are for your corals. Both of them have passive cooling so you don't have to listen to a fan.

That light seems to be brand new. I haven't seen any reviews out on it, just the product announcement.

I made the mistake of buying a light under similar circumstances when I started out, and it was a waste of money. I don't know whether this one is any good or not, just saying that it's hard to tell without hearing from anyone with hands on experience with it.

I'm ordering a Nanobox Mini Tide for my Fusion 10, but that's quite a bit more money that this one. If you're looking in the $100 or less price range, one option you might consider is the Coral Compulsion PAR30 or PAR38 bulb. I've used the PAR30 with great results, and lots of folks here have used both with consistent positive feedback. You can get either one for under $100 and buy a cheap lamp holder from Target or Walmart.

The PAR38 is dimmable, and the PAR30 is not. So you have to move the PAR30 up and down to control how bright things are for your corals. Both of them have passive cooling so you don't have to listen to a fan.

No joke, its so hard finding any reviews of fish gear lately. I think I am just going to end up biting the bullet and toss a Kessil A150 on a gooseneck for $Two Fitty or so. :bling:

That's a nice light, and I like the way the colors look in the pictures I've seen. I didn't go with the Kessil on my tank because of the added cost for the mount and controller.

In that price range you should definitely take a look at Nanobox. The light is $250 and you can add the Storm controller for another $50. Plus you can get any colors you like :)

Check the reviews in the Nanobox vendor's forum. The only real problem with ordering a Nanobox is Dave makes them to order and it can take a month or two to get it. But it's worth the wait.

Archived