Cultivated Reef

Aquascape thoughts

kygass

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get my biocube 29 off the ground. It is my first saltwater aquarium. I just purchased this rock from reef cleaners and before I use epoxy or something to secure it all, I was hoping I could get a few opinions from the board. I do plan on adding a sand bed after I am happy with the scape.

Thanks!

post-83131-0-18257800-1415501978_thumb.jpgpost-83131-0-67623200-1415501976_thumb.jpg

I like it. Something I made a priority with my recent scape is to have enough space between the rock and glass to easily clean the tank. Just a thought.

I like it. Something I made a priority with my recent scape is to have enough space between the rock and glass to easily clean the tank. Just a thought.

priceless advice

How far would you recommend keeping the rock away from the glass? I was trying to get some more height given that the tank is a cube and it got a little close. Maybe I can shift everything toward the middle.

Give your hand enough room to get to all of the glass that you will need to clean without scraping or moving the rocks. My mag float (glass cleaner) always has a tough time in tight spaces so I have to reach in and rocks get in the way. It didn't cross my mind when I started.

You might also want to think about space for a gravel vac to clean the sand bed. Or chasing a fish with a net (in the case it is sick, or you need to take it out for some reason). Also the type of fish you want, gobies like to make caves and hide. If you want corals think about where you'll need to place those for optimum flow and light.

Whenever I scape, I only think about how it looks. Then when it comes time to work on the tank, I kick myself. Function over looks!

I reworked the rock bringing most into the middle while trying to maintain height and allow for good coral placement. It has kind of resulted in this pyramid formation with the central opening. Not exactly sure how I feel about it. Thoughts?

post-83131-0-00681400-1415815947_thumb.jpgpost-83131-0-45339200-1415816161_thumb.jpg

I like the pyramid, but I liked your first scape better (IMO). Scaping the BC29 is tough (I have one), just be patient and keep trying things until you really like something, then make adjustments for considerations mentioned above like cleaning glass, water flow, and coral placement.

Archived