Innovative Marine Aquariums

Purigen vs. Chemipure Elite vs. Chemipure Blue

Jbrock183

I just pick up the stuff directly from UPS, so she doesn't find out, but then my daughter sells me out when she sees something new in the tank! Lol. Can't live with them can't live without them!

Sounds like the women are ganging up on you! My wife doesn't need any help. She's like a CIA agent when it comes to sniffing out reef expenditures. :rolleyes:

In other news, I just bought some Blue. After my crazy Gulf-Rock cycle, I'll put it in the media basket and report my findings.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

I have the same issue with the glass. My Hanna checker reads 0 Phos (think I will pick up the SALIFERT one).

When you switch to CPB will you run anything like PhosBan?

Nope, just Chemipure blue and purigen. Next time just Chemipure blue.

Sounds like the women are ganging up on you! My wife doesn't need any help. She's like a CIA agent when it comes to sniffing out reef expenditures. :rolleyes:

In other news, I just bought some Blue. After my crazy Gulf-Rock cycle, I'll put it in the media basket and report my findings.

I'm the only male in the house! Even my dog is female! Lol. Estrogen through the roof!
  • Like 1

it should be noted that with GFO you typically need some sort of tumbler or media reactor as it clumps and is not as effective when clumped together.

Chemipure elite is basically carbon and GFO together already measured out. You add it to your tank and you are done. When you need to get new stuff, you just throw the whole thing away and get a new one. Most people run this alongside purigen. Chemipure Blue is basically a single bag with Chemipure Elite AND purigen in it, same principle. You add it and toss as needed.

The issue is that in the typical amounts added and removed, chemipure elite and chemipure blue are more expensive. Purigen can be reused over and over again, as the beads can be cleaned with bleach and then rinsed/treated with seachem prime, and it's ready to go again. You basically only need 1 or 2 bags ever. Carbon and GFO come in bulk and are cheaper in the long run as you get WAY more. The downside is that depending on your tank conditions and the media you get, you can strip the water of too much nutrients, so you have to pay more attention to how much you add. This typically only applies to the phosphate removers, though.

For the cost of a 3 month supply (on my tank schedule) of chemipure elite or blue, I have almost a years' supply of activated carbon, a phosphate removal media (I use phosguard not GFO because I don't have a reactor), and purigen plus the seachem prime to reactivate/clean the purigen. I'm set. I just change stuff out every couple of weeks. Plus, if there is a problem and I need to change my media more frequently, I'm not hemorrhaging money.

What is a reactor? You mentioned you use "phosguard not GFO" because you don't have a reactor. Can you explain this? I'm not familiar with these products and have no idea what a reactor is?

So a reactor is something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Phosphate_Reactors-FIFRISPR-ct.html

Basically it is a chamber with your media in it, that water flows through, to guarantee the best water:media turnover ratio. GFO pretty much requires one to force some tumbling of the GFO to prevent it clumping. It keeps water in contact and flowing over the GFO. If the GFO clumps, which happens when it doesn't tumble in a reactor, the water can't flow through it and it's less effective. Phosguard is made spherically so it doesn't need a reactor (though a reactor may be more beneficial) because it can't truly clump.

• Like 1

Okay. So I'm using the Aquaclear 50 HOB power filter for my 10 gallon Nano. Will the chamber that holds the media for this filter serve the same purpose?

Right now I'm using the standard sponge that is recommended for the filter, ChemiPure Blue, and the Biomax filter media which is also recommended for the filter (in order from bottom to top). Should I exchange the sponge for floss and the Biomax for Purigen?

Okay. So I'm using the Aquaclear 50 HOB power filter for my 10 gallon Nano. Will the chamber that holds the media for this filter serve the same purpose?

Right now I'm using the standard sponge that is recommended for the filter, ChemiPure Blue, and the Biomax filter media which is also recommended for the filter (in order from bottom to top). Should I exchange the sponge for floss and the Biomax for Purigen?

Chemipure blue is the same as using chemipure elite (which is carbon and GFO) AND purigen, so it is pretty much the only thing you need for your tank. I prefer filter floss to a sponge, but they serve the same general purpose - mechanical filtration. If you find the sponge works well for you, keep using it. I don't think you need the biomax AND the CPB - just the CPB. Your tank should run great on ONLY the CPB and floss/sponge.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Thanks for all the information - very helpful

Don't use a sponge. They turn into nitrate factories. Just use filter floss and toss it when it gets brown. Much better way to keep your water looking crystal clear.

• Like 1

Don't use a sponge. They turn into nitrate factories. Just use filter floss and toss it when it gets brown. Much better way to keep your water looking crystal clear.

So using the black filter that comes with the nano that fits in the basket...you are saying to replace that with filter floss? So rinsing the sponge like every two weeks with RO/DI water doesnt help eliminate the nitrate factory potential?

thx

reefernanoman

So using the black filter that comes with the nano that fits in the basket...you are saying to replace that with filter floss? So rinsing the sponge like every two weeks with RO/DI water doesnt help eliminate the nitrate factory potential?

thx

You can't really get everything out of sponge, no matter how many times you rinse it. Whatever you miss will be reintroduced into the tank. It's messy and nasty too. Just replace any sponge with filter floss. That way you remove as much gunk as possible. I think that most of us here use filter floss.
  • Like 2

Doesn't the sponge do a better job of catching suspended particles than the floss would?

Do you have recommendations for a brand of filter floss that would fit the Aquaclear 50?

Doesn't the sponge do a better job of catching suspended particles than the floss would?

Do you have recommendations for a brand of filter floss that would fit the Aquaclear 50?

FIlter floss has multiple layers of varying sizes, so it catches WAY more suspended particles. Look at one of the NR sponsors' sites, inTank. Stevie sells filter floss pads for like 12 bucks (you get a lot) and it's seriously the best floss I have ever used. Just cut to the size you want, replace as needed.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sweet, thanks for the update Steve.

This place seems to have ChemiPureBlue Nano, but shipping kills it for me.

Steve, when u gettin this???

Just got the notice we could order. We should have it in late next week!

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Just got the notice we could order. We should have it in late next week!

Sweet! Thanks! I'll keep an eye on your site for it.

I ordered Chemi Pure Blue 11oz for my Fusion 40 as well as a few packs of filter floss from inTank last night. My first purchase there. I plan to get rid of the Purigen, Chemipure Elite and PhosBan combo that I was using. I already had been using filter floss. Looking forward to simplifying down to 1 product from 3. Hopefully by replacing the floss more often we will not have issues with Phos. We feed pretty heavily, but do have a protein skimmer which collects good skimate.

Appreciate the advice gathered from this post!

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
Thrassian Atoll

Reviving a thread back to life.  

Anyways, I just stumbled upon chemipure blue.  This stuff didn't exist when I got out of the hobby some years ago.  I always used chemipure elite and purigen.  

If I switched to the chemipure blue, instead of using chemipure elite and purigen, in my IM 25 what else should I put in the media basket? Maybe it would be more benfitial to remove a rack and get a bigger bag of the blue and hang it in the media basket?

What do you think @StevieT

2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

What do you think @StevieT

You don't want to over use cheim pure blue per Boyd.  If you are using the nano packs they are good for 5 gallons of water each.  The larger 5.5oz bag is a little oversized for your tank, and also might block some flow in this basket.

I would use 4 nano packs of blue in the tank.  You could also run a bag of purigen somewhere if you like.  Or use the larger sized blue and take some out, then run.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
15 minutes ago, StevieT said:

You don't want to over use cheim pure blue per Boyd.  If you are using the nano packs they are good for 5 gallons of water each.  The larger 5.5oz bag is a little oversized for your tank, and also might block some flow in this basket.

I would use 4 nano packs of blue in the tank.  You could also run a bag of purigen somewhere if you like.  Or use the larger sized blue and take some out, then run.

Thanks!  Appreciate the quick reply.  I went ahead and ordered the nano sized blues.  I will put 2 of those on each rack in your media basket.  So in my 25 I will have a floss rack, and a rack with floss, 2 blue, and 2 more blue, along with a tunze 9001 for filtration.

1 hour ago, TILTON said:

Thanks!  Appreciate the quick reply.  I went ahead and ordered the nano sized blues.  I will put 2 of those on each rack in your media basket.  So in my 25 I will have a floss rack, and a rack with floss, 2 blue, and 2 more blue, along with a tunze 9001 for filtration.

Sounds good.  If you wanted more media some day our Fuge Basket goes in the accessory chamber. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
23 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Sounds good.  If you wanted more media some day our Fuge Basket goes in the accessory chamber. 

Thanks.  I'll see how this goes with sps.  Not sure I'll have room unless I can fit the heater in with the probes. 

IMG_1029.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah looks like you're using all fo the chambers, looks nice and clean.

If you ever needed more media put under the floss holder or get another media basket.

• Like 1