Top Shelf Aquatics

expert advice on bta

Fishsticks2187

Fishsticks2187

i am fairly new to reefing and and i need some help with my bubble tip anemone. i purchased a small bta from my LFS last Friday evening. It is a beautiful light neon green with vibrant redish orangeish tips the guy said it was from Indonesian. i brought it home and acclimated it and as soon as i put it in my tank it found a crevices in the rock and hasnt moved since. i left the lights off all night. then i started to add light slowly each day. i have a 16 gallon nuvo16 tank with no other fish just some snails/ hermits/ feather duster and 3 pieces of coral. every now the bta closes up (as i read in other forums this is normal) then will open for a few hours as the lights come on (its on a timer) and is fully open for about 2 hours. the color is perfect and the tips are bubbled and contracted and not stringy and the anemone as a whole if full and the mouth of it is tight closed. then its starts to deflate about midafter noon. and the mouth opens and a clear mucus ball is released (over the course of a few hours) the the anemone goes inside its self. then it will open its self back up and looks perfectly normal again until the lights go off at night. at this point i havent feed it yet. it does this everyday. so i thought maybe if i feed it then it would start to be more normal lol because i dont know how good about feeding the bta the LFS was. so i took some rinsed, thawed out frozen mysis and feed the nem. the tentacles accepted the pieces and they were sticky and then over the course of a few hours it would shrivel up and a then a ball of the mucus would come out of its mouth and in that ball would be packed tightly with mysis shrimp that i just feed it earlier. all of my parameters are good: ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, calcium- 380, alkalinity-9, ph-8.2 phosphate-0. temp ranges from 76 - 78. its a 16 gallon tank with a mp10 for water flow, and my light is a current orbit marine led light.

What type of lighting do you have ? If its stock it may not be enought. The bta will require a good amount of light. Also as stated no feeding is required if you have an ampule of lighting. Just keep an eye on it and let it find it's own happy place. Good luck. I have a rbta and it's one of my favorite tank inhabitants

post-55105-0-77368900-1415546524_thumb.jpg

Fishsticks2187

I have a current marine led light Dual Daylight with 8,000K/12,000K white LEDs and Dual Actinic with 445nm/460nm actinic blue LEDs. I know it's not the strongest light but the tank is a bout 11 inches tall after the sand was added. And the tanticals are long and stringy (like its reaching for light) they are nice and contracted when it is inflated for the few hours it's stays like that?

I have API testing kit for kh, and calcium and a hydrometer for my salinity. My tank is pretty stable. It's about 4 months old but all the live rock was from another tank I had for about a year. The only thing that fluctuates is the temp. That ranges from 76 degrees f to 78 degrees. I have a protein skimmer that helps with the water quality and I'm doing water changes about every 5 days.

• 2 weeks later...

How is ur BTA doing? If still the same you could try using a high wattage incandescent light just to add more power to see if it is a lighting issue. ;)

Fishsticks2187

How is ur BTA doing? If still the same you could try using a high wattage incandescent light just to add more power to see if it is a lighting issue. ;)

my bubble tip is doing great, hardly ever deflates and when it does it opens back up fairly quickly!!!! i guess it was just stressed for the first week or so. thank you for all your help. i cant wait to get a clown and i hope it binds with it. im waiting though to add it last because of a clowns ability to become territorial, so i figure if i put him in last then there wont be to much fighting going on.

Archived