Pod Your Reef

water parameters alk low

MadReefer13

You should be ok bumping the alk dosage up to 15 drops if you want to increase it quicker.

ya i used the calculator and thats how much it says will it said so many ml of part two will raise the alk

its a mixed reef has like 5 different sps and the coraline is really taking off also so maybe that

What's in you're tank that's sucking up all the ca? What's you're livestock?

If you have SPS and LPS and coralline you will be dosing alk and calc quite often because they all use it to build their skeletons. Small tanks do not have enough water volume to prevent these from dropping between water changes.

If you have SPS and LPS and coralline you will be dosing alk and calc quite often because they all use it to build their skeletons. Small tanks do not have enough water volume to prevent these from dropping between water changes.

yes i have sps and a hammer and all them are growing like mad...but my zoas are closed up well there slowly opeing as i get it raised up

hey by the way thank you so much for your help really has me stressed to see my tank sad

tested gain today and alk was at 7.5 so up .5 in 24 hours.wanting to make it more so should add more or keep it to .5 a day

.5 is fine just keep dosing till you get to around 9 or so then cut back to keep it stable. The zoas will open up so don't worry about them too much.

.5 is fine just keep dosing till you get to around 9 or so then cut back to keep it stable. The zoas will open up so don't worry about them too much.

ya at first i thought i had a pest but now im thinking it was just my water...also i was having fish die within a day anyway think it was that i never seen ich or anything theyed just breath really heavy then die

Well you're alk being at 7 shouldn't cause something like that as far as I know unless it was alkalinty shock which I highly doubt. Heavy breathing is due to something toxic in the water or extremely low oxygen levels. I hope this isn't still a problem for you.

ya at first i thought i had a pest but now im thinking it was just my water...also i was having fish die within a day anyway think it was that i never seen ich or anything theyed just breath really heavy then die

I have no fush thought it was a diesease so im fishless but think its somthing ealse i want a fish but was waiting 8weeks

How long was it after your cycle till you added a fish?

I had fish in the whole time tank was switched over from a ten gallon

Well I'm sorry for you're loss but I can't say for sure what caused it but I highly doubt it was due to alkalinity being at 7. Normal range is between 8-12 so 7 is not a low number.

Well my nitrates and ammonia are 0 and N is 0-5 so now i should be safe to add again....so should i add like a chromies and see if it lives?

Archived