SaltCritters.com

water parameters alk low

MadReefer13

And...
sorry was gonna put link to my old thread I've been having troubles with my cal and alk and was wondering if its looking better?

Also pH is never higher then that never gos higher the 8

so let the alk drop a lil haven't chased ph didnt think was good just the alk and cal has been getting me.

I'd keep the alk no higher than 12 and don't chase ph. 8.0 is a good number.

ok thank you. i was doing 4 drops wasn't doing anything so went up slowly to 10 so now ill slowly go back till it gets right...thanks again

Yeah just skip dosing for a day or two till it drops then reduce the amount you dose daily to try to keep it stable.

so i just checked with a better kit and my alk is vary low 7.2 check with a strip last night lazy ass

Yeah just skip dosing for a day or two till it drops then reduce the amount you dose daily to try to keep it stable.

also cal is down to 400 already? ph is 8.0

im using redsea for alk api for cal and also had the lfs check today they were matching

Don't use strips they are not accurate. What test kit are you using for alk and calc?

Don't bring it up by more than 1dKH in a day (seriously, gradually and over 24 hours). Check and see what your salt mixes to. Water changes will help, but you do have to make sure you're not changing out enough water to change alk drastically. Try slowly dosing until you're at 8-9, then keep it there and keep it stable. Test daily to figure out consumption, and dose accordingly.

Don't bring it up by more than 1dKH in a day (seriously, gradually and over 24 hours). Check and see what your salt mixes to. Water changes will help, but you do have to make sure you're not changing out enough water to change alk drastically. Try slowly dosing until you're at 8-9, then keep it there and keep it stable. Test daily to figure out consumption, and dose accordingly.

i'm using nano reef a&b i that ok or should i get somthing else. also i'm gonna be switching from regular IO to IO reef crystals could this be the problem is in using wrong salt

the fresh batch of io is coming at like 5.6 baddddddddd

calcium 400

the fresh batch of io is coming at like 5.6 baddddddddd

calcium 400

Yeah, you're going to want to dose the newly mixed saltwater to bring it up to the level you want. And look into switching to Reef Crystals, maybe? I'm not sure how much IO is supposed to mix to; maybe your salt has just settled in a weird way and needs some shaking/swishing to mix it back up again?

I shake and mix everytime before use ..im switching to reef cyrstls next wc buying today im hoping it makes not have to dose i hate having to chase numbers and my zoas have been pissed off badly

Yeah, you're going to want to dose the newly mixed saltwater to bring it up to the level you want. And look into switching to Reef Crystals, maybe? I'm not sure how much IO is supposed to mix to; maybe your salt has just settled in a weird way and needs some shaking/swishing to mix it back up again?

so today at 1130am my cal was 400 alk was 7 and ph was at 7.8....the alk low like that is not good right?

and i'm losing 40 on cal everyday i bring it to 440 then its 400 next morning

Honestly you should try sodium carbonate. It's like 8 dollars for a huge bottle of it and it works great plus it's super easy to figure out dosing. Otherwise try adding more of the alk part of the kent solution, like 15 drops, and that should help raise it.

ive been being told to start kalk whats your thoughts on that

Honestly you should try sodium carbonate. It's like 8 dollars for a huge bottle of it and it works great plus it's super easy to figure out dosing. Otherwise try adding more of the alk part of the kent solution, like 15 drops, and that should help raise it.

Kalk is also a possibility but I've never personally used it. I have heard good things about kalk dosing but you must be extremely careful about dosage.

dosed just the alk and tested again and its at 7.3....so at 1130 am it was 7,now at 11 pm after 10 drops of part a and 20 drops of b its at 7.3 so up .3 after 10 drops should i just do this daily or can i raise it faster?

dosed just the alk and tested again and its at 7.3....so at 1130 am it was 7,now at 11 pm after 10 drops of part a and 20 drops of b its at 7.3 so up .3 after 10 drops should i just do this daily or can i raise it faster?

You should be ok bumping the alk dosage up to 15 drops if you want to increase it quicker.

Archived