inTank Media Baskets

3g Morceau De La Mer

dingusplease

Scleractinians Feeding  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do SPS corals need supplemental food(s) and amino acids?

• Yes, food besides light is needed
    • No, not at all
    • Depends on the tank's stocking and overall feeding
    • Only for sick/smaller corals (special cases)
    • It may help, but not necessary

Hello all,

I've been wanting to share the progress of this Pico for a while now, and hopefully receive some critique/comments! The short history and tank info:

Started January 3rd, 2014, with 4lbs LR and ~1.5" live sand.

Maintenance:

- Weekly 10% WCs

- Chaeto trimming

- Freeze-dried/frozen brine and mysis every two or three days

Equipment:

120w Chinese dimmable, full-spectrum LED panel

Azoo 180 powerhead

HOB fuge

Tetra submersible heater

Hydor ATO

Stock HOB filter

DIY led moonlights

Stock:

Too many corals to easily list, I can work on a comprehensive list if anyone wants to know, they shouldn't be too hard to identify in photos.

Randall's shrimp goby

Tiger pistol shrimp

Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Pom Pom crab

Two sexy shrimp (male/female)

Chaeto

Three Nerites

And finally, photos!

7F3A1275-7760-4F9C-8FEC-18D0167B271A_zps

FD55CB71-475D-4AD0-BFD5-44A8C9092CF7_zps

Beautiful tank!

I was wondering where you have the powerhead pointed and how many gph it pumps? I have the same tank and I'm having trouble figuring out a good place to point the powerhead

i had a 3g pico but just recently upgraded

to an 8g. yours is wonderful! keep it up!

ps. does the porcelain crab get along with

everyone? i sort of want to get one, but afraid

my tank is too small at 8g (with 2 sexies and

2 gobies) so wanted your take. thanks!

Thank you andyl18! I have the powerhead in the upper right section, with the jet creating agitation right across the water surface.

3DFBAF8B-C72C-4BFA-BE40-C085355FE95D_zps

Thank you! I just started reading your tank thread- the tank looks great!

With regards to the porcelain, I would say go for it, they get along with anything in my experience. Definitely no problem with gobies and sexies.

Edit: as long as the tank is stable, tank size shouldn't be an issue with the porcelain either, they don't get particularly large and are filter feeders.

Thank you! I just started reading your tank thread- the tank looks great!

With regards to the porcelain, I would say go for it, they get along with anything in my experience. Definitely no problem with gobies and sexies.

Edit: as long as the tank is stable, tank size shouldn't be an issue with the porcelain either, they don't get particularly large and are filter feeders.

thank you for your quick reply! my tank is 10 weeks old. :)

so not very established yet. i had a quick impatient cycle

as i shifted things over from my 3g, so i think that helped.

i lost a pom pom crab in my 3g because i got him too early.

so i think i'll wait some months.

just watched your first video and really

enjoyed it. especially the new critters my

3g def didn't look like that. ha! but it was an emergency

tank converted from a tetra one, so wasn't ideal for

saltwater, i think.

When I was an extreme newbie and had a dragonet and blue tang in my tank, a hitch hiker porcelain crab slashed them. I don't think it caused their deaths, but because those fish lay still at night it gave the crab fair chance to claw at them. Just my experience though.

just watched your first video and really

enjoyed it. especially the new critters my

3g def didn't look like that. ha! but it was an emergency

tank converted from a tetra one, so wasn't ideal for

saltwater, i think.

You might be surprised how beautiful SW creatures look up close! Even copepods and calcerous worms look interesting when you use a good macro lens!

Looks awesome man! Sweet little picotope. The leather on the left is nice....

Thank you! I might have to frag that leather, it's been growing like a weed!

this tank is getting crazy

In a good way, I hope :)

Thank you! I designed and laser cut the lid from clear acrylic - it works great. Please PM me if you want any more details, I can send the file or even the lids themselves if anyone wants one.

My larger toad seems to like medium to high flow, and of course stable conditions! Moderate light works well and not messing with it by moving it around or fragging too much.

I'm making a new 11 month time-lapse video of this tank, should be done very soon! It will be a "Part II" to the above time lapse that I made this past June.

My larger toad seems to like medium to high flow, and of course stable conditions! Moderate light works well and not messing with it by moving it around or fragging too much.

I'm making a new 11 month time-lapse video of this tank, should be done very soon! It will be a "Part II" to the above time lapse that I made this past June.

Cool look forward to the video. Mine has just started to get comfy and has been extending good lately...

How old is the tank? Glad to hear your toadstool is settling in, mine took quite a while to perk up after nearly being squished during shipping.

It's like 2 yrs old... had ups and downs but I've been on top of maintenace and all for several months and everything is doing good... My toadstool is a new addition... little guy with nice green tentacles about the size of a fat thumb.... have only had for a couple weeks not expecting growth this soon of course, was just curious... Got mine for ten bucks so can't complain! :-)

• 1 month later...
It's like 2 yrs old... had ups and downs but I've been on top of maintenace and all for several months and everything is doing good... My toadstool is a new addition... little guy with nice green tentacles about the size of a fat thumb.... have only had for a couple weeks not expecting growth this soon of course, was just curious... Got mine for ten bucks so can't complain! :-)
How's that toad doing?

I'm really having fun with this tank :) Since the last photo dump, I added a pistol shrimp for my goby, some sps micro-colonies, and...This overkill will-roast-my-corals-if-I'm-not-careful LED panel. 120w, full spectrum, dimmable, wider than my tank.Don't worry, I dimmed it near-off and will slowly increase it over the next couple of weeks. http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/FD55CB71-475D-4AD0-BFD5-44A8C9092CF7_zpsw78j9kmu.jpg.html'>FD55CB71-475D-4AD0-BFD5-44A8C9092CF7_zpshttp://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/7F3A1275-7760-4F9C-8FEC-18D0167B271A_zps216s7qfe.jpg.html'>7F3A1275-7760-4F9C-8FEC-18D0167B271A_zpshttp://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/B876E61F-2E35-40B0-ABEC-A076F8D1C15C.png_zpsqxipp2j2.jpeg.html'>B876E61F-2E35-40B0-ABEC-A076F8D1C15C.pnghttp://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/AA15E6F7-888A-4C48-A537-A8FB907233F2_zps9ptlia6e.jpg.html'>AA15E6F7-888A-4C48-A537-A8FB907233F2_zpsThanks for looking!

I'm slowly cranking up the lights, they're at 25% white 28% blue, no bleaching. PE on the pocillopora is great :)

Between Cobalt Aquatics coral food and Acropower, which would most likely help the sps the most, in terms of colors and growth?

The $1 protein skimmer:

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/CAE3F600-18A3-40D6-8BB2-CEE47BB5C3FC_zpsrwqnjymx.jpg.html'>CAE3F600-18A3-40D6-8BB2-CEE47BB5C3FC_zps

- Old gravel vac

- Plastic water bottle

- Waterproof epoxy

- Spare 1/2" rubber tube

- Airline tube

- Wooden air stone ($1)

The collection cup is removable:

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dingusplease/media/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef/45B85726-E4CD-4D00-9ACD-EF239B2780E3_zps6qxaafsg.jpg.html'>45B85726-E4CD-4D00-9ACD-EF239B2780E3_zps

So far I've tested it enough to know it creates a nice foam head, but I haven't left it running long enough to collect protein.

Archived