Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Filtration for my edge 6, am I doing it right w/ ChemiPure?

reeferx2

Hello all,

New to nano-reefing and saltwater altogether. I currently have an edge 6 that's been cycling with live rock and sand for 2 days now. The water is crystal clear, but I'm curious to know if my filtration system is correct as I've been reading so many different opinions and seeing various setups.

I have the stock HOB filter and the only thing in the basket is a bag of Chemi-Pure, no foam, no biomax. Nothing but the bag of Chemi-Pure. Is this correct? Coming from freshwater it seems a bit light in the filtration department.

thanx in advance!

Deleted User 8

I would remove the chemi pure until the cycle was over and would place some filter foam or floss in there. Clean as needed.

What have you been using for ammonia source? What are your tests running?

Buzz

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I began this tank with cured live rock.

My flipping test kit was lost in the mail and I won't be getting one until tomorrow, so I haven't run any yet. The only thing I've been able to do is make sure my salinity is ok.

I keep reading that filter cartridges are nitrate factories. Which is why I opted to not use any stock media. Problem is, I'm unclear as to what "cartridge" refers to. I assumed it was the foam sponge that came with the kit, mainly because in my past experience with freshwater that was a large source of algae for me.

Deleted User 8

You still may have a cycle even with cured live rock. Unless the tank you pulled it from was at your next door neighbor's house!

The test kits will help. Also, if you dont have any bio load or you are not dosing ammonia, the nitrifying bacteria will not thrive and will need to be built back up to working levels via a cycle.

Buzz

oh he didn't, i'm admitting it.

I've since decided to place the stock foam sponge underneath my chemi-pure bag. And I will be monitoring things like this over the next two weeks. once I've got all my parameters at zero I think I will ditch the sponge.

sound good?

Deleted User 8

oh he didn't, i'm admitting it.

I've since decided to place the stock foam sponge underneath my chemi-pure bag. And I will be monitoring things like this over the next two weeks. once I've got all my parameters at zero I think I will ditch the sponge.

sound good?

No.

Remove the chemi-pure, it is not needed at this point. The sponge or floss is used to catch big chunks of stuff from the water. I would place it before your other media so the media doesnt get clogged with gunk. Clean the sponge often. If you run a cleaner tank (don't overfeed, etc) you may not need the sponge later on.

Buzz

so now it would seem we have two conflicting ideas here.

my current theory is to leave the sponge until the cycling is complete, which now i'm sure has been pushed back a bit because I began this tank with the chemi pure.

once I see a complete cycle, I will ditch the sponge and only run chemi pure.

side note..will I experience a regular nitrogen cycle in this tank being that I used rock that was already cured??

Deleted User 8

The chemi pure won't really set you back, it just isn't necessary now for what you want to do. The sponge is fine during cycle and to remove large pieces of detritus. Keep it cleaned or replace it before it has time to build up nasties. Of course it will cause problems if you plunk it back there and let it run for months without cleaning.

You probably will have a cycle--hard to tell because I have no idea the condition of your rocks. I would approach like a normal cycle that may be shorter than normal, but you will have a cycle.

Folks really need to get over the whole idea of a no-cycle tank set up and pre-cycled rocks. Unless, as I have said, the rock was in a perfect tank next door and you pulled the rock and immediately put it into a tank that was running at the same parameters, then yes--no cycle is possible.

It's too bad you can't test ammonia, etc, then we would have a better idea.

Buzz

Oh I totally believe in the full cycle and that's how I wanted to approach this tank. I went to the LFS to purchase my rock, sand, and water with the mindset that I wasn't going to be sold on anything other than what I need, which was the information gathered from this website.

Unfortunately I was sold on the whole "i've been doing this forever" speech, and left the LFS with cured rock instead of standard, pre-mixed bottled water instead of RO, and Chemi-Pure. Dude told me I'd be ready to add fish in 2 days...thankfully I'm not that foolish haha.

Deleted User 8

Yeah, LFS workers are often just people who need a job and are not really the experts they claim. I frequent one place where the owner is great, but he has a bunch of kids working there that have no idea what they are doing. The owner is never around.

I also recommend making your own water. There are just so many reasons to make your own. I can't imagine not having total control over the most important aspect of this hobby. I just don't trust any LFS to do it for me.

Buzz

I've been looking into RO/Di units for the home, considering what I paid for just 8.8 gallons of pre-mixed water an in home unit seems like a much better idea both fiscally and for the reasons you just mentioned.

I really appreciate the help man, let me know if you're ever in NYC, I owe you a round! :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
This: http://spectrapure.com/FACTORY-REFURBISHED'>http://spectrapure.com/FACTORY-REFURBISHED

I'm from the other coast...too far to go for just beer! :D

Buzz

Hey buzz,

Just wanted to give you an update since you helped out so much. My cycle has since ended as of sunday. I removed the sponge and added chemi pure only. And did a 20% WC.

I have since added my CUC, a fire shrimp, and one small zoa frag. The dude at my LFS, suggested I add Bio-Max to my filter so I did that as well. I suppose this is cool in lieu of the sponge..thoughts??

My day 16 levels today are:

Am: .50

Ni: .25

Na: 0

PH: 8.1

Cal: 340

Alk: 9dkh

Phos: 0

I'm not thrilled with the calcium and Alk levels, think I'll employ a larger WC at the end of this week.

The only test I performed on the new water was salinity, I didn't think the other parameters needed testing?!

The water I made for my first change was a mix of nutri-sea, R/O, and a little bit of instant ocean. I don't like to keep water already made because I'll just have to heat it back up again before adding to my tank.

How do you feel about the bio-max/chemipure combo?

I'm noticing a spike in ammonia and nitrite..any chance the biomax had something to do with this?

haven't seen my hermit all day either.

Your biofilter probably wasn't robust enough for the amount of livestock you added. Keep doing frequent water changes to keep your ammonia down and your livestock alive.

Sponge is mechanical fitration. You need to wash it out weekly.

Biomax is a biological filter substrate, only clean water should be going through it.

It will clog with poop, and breakdown into nitrates. Its junk btw.

You need a prefilter, floss, sock, or sponge to trap particulate matter before it moves to your biomax.

i ordered the intank media basket for an aquaclear20 and a pad of floss. so far, it has been working out well, the floss pad is cut to fit, it is allowing good flow, but is keeping the water very clear.

Your biofilter probably wasn't robust enough for the amount of livestock you added. Keep doing frequent water changes to keep your ammonia down and your livestock alive.

good news is, the water is back to being perfect again. It would appear that one of my new variables caused a small cycle..either the biomax or livestock. Just glad the situation is under control.

Sponge is mechanical fitration. You need to wash it out weekly.

Biomax is a biological filter substrate, only clean water should be going through it.

It will clog with poop, and breakdown into nitrates. Its junk btw.

You need a prefilter, floss, sock, or sponge to trap particulate matter before it moves to your biomax.

My initial intent was to run a sponge and chemipure only, but after reading so much about sponges becoming nitrate factories I decided to ditch it. The dude at my LFS, which has quite a reputation for being the best in NYC suggested the addition of bio-max. Not saying his word is better than yours, just letting you know why I added it to my media.

Think I should remove it? and go back to my sponge?? There's soooo many conflicting theories!

A sponge will become a "nitrate factory" if you dont clean.

A sponge traps poop. Prevents poop from collecting on your biological and chemical media.

Take out sponge.

Wash or replace sponge frequently.

Poop out of tank.

How does your biomax get poop out of the tank.?

How do you keep it from collecting poop?

When biomax collects poop, and you dont clean it, it becomes a 'nitrate factory'.

When you clean your biomax, youre washing your biological filter down the drain.

What happens to your tank without a biological filter?

Archived