Top Shelf Aquatics

Banggai Cardinalfish

Calvinorc

Thinking of getting one of these for my 29g. I'm having issues with zoa eating amphipods, and I'm trying to combine a cool looking fish that's reef safe, will fit ok in my biocube29, and will hopefully make snacks of my overpopulation of amphipods. Just tried a McCosker's wrasse, which made it a whole 4 days before getting stuck in a small hole in the live rock, where my voracious pods are currently eating his corpse...

Anyone have and idea if the Banggai might work?

He might work, but I never saw my banggais looking for pods actively. You may be better of with some kind of larger goby or a nice damsel

But honestly, a wrasse is the best bet. McCosker's are pretty finicky to acclimate though, try a lubbock's fairy if you want to try again! Mine is a model citizen

The only fish I have had to nip at rocks and glass for pods is Colin (my cherub angelfish) :) when I had banggais they both jumped and the cat ate them...

My McCoskers never ate pods that I could see. Thought they were planktivors that ate out of the water column? I doubt he would have helped you anyways.

My cardinal didn't eat them either.

Maybe a springers damsel? They are pretty mild mannered. Or perhaps a pink streak/pygmy wrasse?

Get a six line, they are pod assassins, stay small, and a very active. That said they can be be hit or miss as far as aggression goes. Get the smallest one you can find. Fwiw I've never had an aggressive six line.

In my experience the six lines get pretty aggressive. I had a problem with pyramid snails so I got a melanurus wrasse. He is always picking at live rock even now that all the snails are gone. He has never touched a clam or coral fingers crossed. He would defiantly take care of your pod problem. Yellow corris are in the same family!

Archived