Innovative Marine Aquariums

Securing 80 shallow tank

lkoechle

So, I have an 80 shallow (48x24x17) and we're building a 44 inch tall stand and a 30 gallon sump below. I have an 8 month old son and looking to the future, I want to keep him safe around the tank (and in everything else, I'd bubble wrap him if I could, as all mothers do). We're wondering if the tank is tall enough to where we need to secure it to a wall to prevent tipping. We don't live in cali, so no earthquakes here. The main concern is just the height and weight.

opinions? Do we need to secure it to a wall? and how, if we do?

After doing some physics-ing, my husband believes this is unnecessary but I'm still wondering.

i dont think you will be able to topple a 48x24 foot print if you had to. at 80 gallons you are looking at somewhere around 1000 lbs with water, rock, and sand. if you want to secure it, you can use a nylon strap and anchor it to a stud behind the stand.

yeh, you more or less only have to look forward to stuff being thrown at the tank being your biggest worry. Also make sure to use child locks on the stand doors as obvious as that sounds I am not sure how many people do never asked.

Yeah, we plan on not having doors but heavy duty electromagnets to secure the face of the stand and then sync the magnets with a switch on the apex to release them. I'm hoping that will keep him out. lol

Hahaha

hey, no laughing! I'm suspicious of any possible danger concerning my baby :P That was a sickening 9 months and a 30 hour labor I care not to repeat. one and done!

hey, no laughing! I'm suspicious of any possible danger concerning my baby :P That was a sickening 9 months and a 30 hour labor I care not to repeat. one and done!

30 hours! Whoa man, I'm a child of 4 :)

jedimasterben

I mean I have 3 sisters so I am 1 Child of 4, you get me?

Ok, so you're the first of four. A child of four might imply that your parents are swingers :o

;)

Ok, so you're the first of four. A child of four might imply that your parents are swingers :o

;)

My father is quagmire giggidy giggidy all right :P

Unless you're kid is the Incredible Hulk and goes into hulk mode, you should have no worries. If he is indeed hulk then I would start a reality show and have him break and throw stuff asap.

We have a 36x18x12 shallow tank. Our daughter is 20 months old and the only child proofing we did was putting child locks on the doors. There is no way a young child is tipping over a tank that size.

Hes going to put stuff in it. Unless you prevent that.

Cherrios, candy, stuffed toys, whatever.

Secure the light well, you dont want a stray toy knocking that in.

I know its not PC(though true), but you know what happens to boys of overprotective mothers. Especially first born or only child boys.

Archived