Pod Your Reef

Skimmer Expert needed

Gooburz

So currently I have an ESHOPPS HOB PSK 100 and the problem I'm having is the skimmer cup fill up in like a few min. I have the nozzle adjusted to where it just barely bubbles up and pulls good skim then like 1-2 times a week the cup fills up within min and its mainly just water. I think its past the break in stage because its been like 3 weeks now.

I'm kinda lost, the skimmer is clean and there isn't anything blocking the inlet or return/outlet. Anyone have this happen to them? Or could it still be breaking in after 3 weeks?

When it is doing this, are the bubbles still very small?

If the bubbles are still small, then I suspect that something is being added to the tank which is causing this. Do these events correspond with anything you might be dosing (or something external, like cleaning products being used nearby)?

If the bubbles appear larger, then the air intake might be getting restricted. This will cause the bubbles to become larger, which could be causing this problem.

If the nozzle is adjusted so it barely bubbles up, the less bubble going in means the more water goes in and the higher the water line in the skimmer

When it is doing this, are the bubbles still very small?

If the bubbles are still small, then I suspect that something is being added to the tank which is causing this. Do these events correspond with anything you might be dosing (or something external, like cleaning products being used nearby)?

If the bubbles appear larger, then the air intake might be getting restricted. This will cause the bubbles to become larger, which could be causing this problem.

Funny thing is nothing is being added to the tank, nothing is being dosed. We don't use any cleaning products near the tank especially aerosol. Being that it is about 3 weeks old now I checked every single piece of that thing and nothing is clogging it, pump is free and clear and making great micro bubbles. That's why I've been at such a shock and puzzled.

If the nozzle is adjusted so it barely bubbles up, the less bubble going in means the more water goes in and the higher the water line in the skimmer

The Nozzle has been adjusted so its just the froth coming up over the top, I go for a dryer skim vs a very wet skim.

From your description, it sounds like it isn't adjusted properly and it is set way too high.

Turn the skimmer off, wait 15 minutes, then plug it back in and wait 5 minutes. Then adjust the bubbles between the 2 lines in my picture below, it is much better to start at the bottom line if you are overflowing. It should build a foam head that starts putting skimmate in the cup within 24 hours or so - if you get "skimmate" within a few minutes you are very likely adjusted too high. From there make it wetter or dryer. Also, make sure your hands haven't been in the tank for at least a couple hours before doing this - the oils on your skin will considerably drop the bubble level and it will overflow when it returns to normal.

psk100_setup.png

If you are adjusted properly, something is causing it to overflow. This happens to me when I put in a brand new filter sock that wasn't washed enough or user a polyfilter - so I have to turn the skimmer off when I do that. You may have to go through a process of elimination to figure out what it is.

From your description, it sounds like it isn't adjusted properly and it is set way too high.

Turn the skimmer off, wait 15 minutes, then plug it back in and wait 5 minutes. Then adjust the bubbles between the 2 lines in my picture below, it is much better to start at the bottom line if you are overflowing. It should build a foam head that starts putting skimmate in the cup within 24 hours or so - if you get "skimmate" within a few minutes you are very likely adjusted too high. From there make it wetter or dryer. Also, make sure your hands haven't been in the tank for at least a couple hours before doing this - the oils on your skin will considerably drop the bubble level and it will overflow when it returns to normal.

psk100_setup.png

If you are adjusted properly, something is causing it to overflow. This happens to me when I put in a brand new filter sock that wasn't washed enough or user a polyfilter - so I have to turn the skimmer off when I do that. You may have to go through a process of elimination to figure out what it is.

AWESOME! My level was higher than your pic so i'll drop it for sure, seems like thats been the problem! Thanks again!

Fishsticks2187

What about of you are getting small bubbles into the display tank? Ii have a desktop innovative marine ghost protein skimmer and it's been running for a month now and I can't seem to stop the micro bubbles from going into the display tank

What about of you are getting small bubbles into the display tank? Ii have a desktop innovative marine ghost protein skimmer and it's been running for a month now and I can't seem to stop the micro bubbles from going into the display tank

That is often just the nature of HOB skimmers. Try running the outflow through a fine sponge or foam filter.

Before making any changes or doing anything, just wait it out for about a month. Typically when they break in (even the HOB ones), they stop putting tons of microbubbles in the display. If after a couple of months and lots of adjustment you are still getting bubbles in the DT, then some course sponge will work. The sponge can't impede too much flow though otherwise your skimmer won't work - if you impede outflow too much, you will have to turn the skimmer way, way down and it decreased efficiency - which is already low on a HOB.

I had a problem with old IM protein skimmer and i turned it around and the bubble went away

Fishsticks2187

That is often just the nature of HOB skimmers. Try running the outflow through a fine sponge or foam filter.

Before making any changes or doing anything, just wait it out for about a month. Typically when they break in (even the HOB ones), they stop putting tons of microbubbles in the display. If after a couple of months and lots of adjustment you are still getting bubbles in the DT, then some course sponge will work. The sponge can't impede too much flow though otherwise your skimmer won't work - if you impede outflow too much, you will have to turn the skimmer way, way down and it decreased efficiency - which is already low on a HOB.

im sorry i aam new to the saltwater game and very new to protein skimmers, i didnt realize there were diffrent styles for skimmers the one i have it goes in the tank in a chamber in my innovative marinenuvo 16 tank.

I had a problem with old IM protein skimmer and i turned it around and the bubble went away

thats a good idea, ill try that out thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There is a sponge on the outlet and NO micro bubbles in the display tank. However I a hardcore deep clean on the tank today, 15 gallon water change and now the skimmer is bubbling like before. I did clean the skimmer with only hot water and a clean brush. However it is bubbling like it did when it was new.

With the deep clean could it be going through another break in period?

Btw since my last post it broke in and was pulling great skim!

wow, NM found an EASY fix online for the ESHOPPS PSK 100 HOB. Ever since the cleaning it wasn't producing good bubble circulation like when I first got it. All I did was open the return valve all the way, started it up, put my thumb covering the air intake and let it run for about 8 seconds. Released my thumb from the air intake and DDDAAAAMMMMM, the air flow and micro bubbles are better than before! Not sure how I didn't see this yet but wow this thing is pulling some major skim out of my tank in the past hour!

Archived