Cultivated Reef

November 2014 Featured Reef - 4x5's 39 Gallon Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Congrats man! The work work and carpet surfing of animals paid off! :D

Thanks. That Clownfish has aged me 5 years. But *touchwood* I think I have her locked in now. :lol:

Congrats!!!

Thank you.

Awesome tank! Congrats on the win!

Thanks you.

This makes me happy after a horrible week.

Congrats man , well deserved! !!

Thanks man. Hope the new week treats you better.

Great tank man, congrats on a well deserved totm feature

Thanks Hey.

Roughly how much rock did you end up using? I know the general rule of thumb is 1.5 pounds (.6 kilo) per gallon (4 litres). I really like the spare look. Everything looks open and clean.

I ordered 16kg of rock. It's all currently being used - the rock that's not in the display is in the sump. In the display is about 10/11kg if I was to guess.

Congrats !! Your tank looks absolutely stunning !! Well deserved!!

Thank you.

Congrats. Very pretty setup

Thank you. :)

I ordered 16kg of rock. It's all currently being used - the rock that's not in the display is in the sump. In the display is about 10/11kg if I was to guess.

I am really liking the "feng shui" look of tanks these days and yours is a flawless example. I am going to go the less is more route with the tank I am currently constructing.

Beautiful scape! I like the sparsity of the rock. How many pounds/gallon do you have? I'm currently moving up from a pico to a 20g and finding that the one pound/gallon guideline is taking up a bit more space than I would like.

Simple and awesome tank!! Congrats!

Thank you.

Beautiful scape! I like the sparsity of the rock. How many pounds/gallon do you have? I'm currently moving up from a pico to a 20g and finding that the one pound/gallon guideline is taking up a bit more space than I would like.

Thanks. I have roughly 11kg (22lbs) in the display and about 5kg (10lbs) in the sump - but I also have a oversized skimmer.

jedimasterben

that old 'guideline' was made by people that sell live rock, usually for upwards of $10/lb, so it's always best practice to take something like that with a grain of salt, especially in this hobby (as most marketing is, unfortunately, built on misinformation or lies).

As hobbyists have been finding out, it doesn't take nearly any rock to have a 'successful' tank, especially with the availability of porous rock, unlike the dense rock usually imported from Fiji or Indonesia, so don't feel like you need to have more and more :)

As hobbyists have been finding out, it doesn't take nearly any rock to have a 'successful' tank, especially with the availability of porous rock, unlike the dense rock usually imported from Fiji or Indonesia, so don't feel like you need to have more and more :)

Ah, that's good to know. What's a good porous rock? I know what you mean about the density of Fiji. I just bought some and it's really bulky, hard to get a look I like.

jedimasterben

Ah, that's good to know. What's a good porous rock? I know what you mean about the density of Fiji. I just bought some and it's really bulky, hard to get a look I like.

Mostly it's going to be 'dry' rock - Reefcleaners, MarcoRocks, BRS Reef Saver or Pukani, all are good choices.

BRS just did a video on that. :)

Congrats, well deserved!

Thanks Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on TOTM. I'm about to set up a shallow cube myself (although a bit smaller).

I love the look of your sandbed. Did it just naturally settle that way from the MP10 flow? What type of sand did you use?

Any photography settings for these shots?

Camera / lens / setting?

I don't think i've seen prettier pictures!

Congrats!

Thanks. :) Settings vary for the shots. Most are taken with a 5d mkii and either a Canon 16-35mm, a Tamron 90mm or a 50mm.

Great tank and well deserved!

Thanks. :)

Congrats on TOTM. I'm about to set up a shallow cube myself (although a bit smaller).

I love the look of your sandbed. Did it just naturally settle that way from the MP10 flow? What type of sand did you use?

Thanks. :) Looking forward to seeing your setup.

Sand is Caribsea Fiji Pink - I really love the sand. It settles with the flow yes but I disturb it with a turkey baster twice a week before dosing Coral Snow.

Archived