Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Pro Coral Salt ?

Ruckus16

This may be a dumb question....here we go.

I have been researching salt mixes. The red sea coral pro salt mix says to miss with unheated RO water for a max of 2 hours until clear. Once clear it's good to use. If mixed longer it will cloud and cause precipitates.

If I mix for 2 hours, it becomes clear and I do my water change, wouldn't it essentially still be getting mixed in my tank? I'm a little confused on why they stress some of the things they do...

I use RSCP salt and all I do is mix it with a P/H and use it right away....... I don't even mix it for 2 hours, more like 15 minutes or so.

Corals look great!

This topic has been hashed around for months and probably years and i agree with you that there is no difference between agitation in the mixing bucket or in the tank.

Some folks say mix only 2 hrs (including the manufacturer ) while others (including myself) mix for days some times. I've asked your question before and got chemistry gobbledy#### answers that i dont understand but the fact is that i have been using RSCP salt for almost a year and sometimes mix only for an hour and sometimes mix for a day or two and have never got cloudiness or a precipitate.

The one thing i do is to turn off the heater if i dont use the mix within 2 or 3 hrs.

I think they usually say the salt is caustic before it is fully mixed and can burn corals if it touches coral before fully mixed. Also I think it's important to make sure it's mixed fully to test salinity.

That's what I use.

I usually mix it up the evening a day before I want to do my water change. So it sits mixing in my bucket for about 24 hours.

No issues so far.

Kimberbee, have you ever had it cloud up?

Never, though I've only been using it for 6 months. BF uses it, and has never warned me about it clouding - he's used it for years.

I am using the red sea coral pro. I mix it a day in advance with a power head and heater (same temp as the tank) in the bucket. Been working well for me.

I mix RSCP the night before and use it the next morning - so maybe 12 hrs max. I've gone as little as 2 hours, and as long as 3 days once (when I had to leave town quickly one day - for work that is :) ) It's been ok each time

I'm mixing about 4 gallons in a Home Depot bucket with a pump and heater.

I have not encountered any issues with RSCP because I only mix a couple hours with a low flow powerhead but with RC the problem I had with over mixing is that it starts depositing on the surface of the bucket or mixing vessel and you lose precious Ca/Alk/other stuff you pay good money for. I would assume the same thing could occur with RSCP.

Archived