Top Shelf Aquatics

Question about initial fill

cnseekatz

This may sound like a dumb question, but what is the best way to do the initial fill on a system with a larger (relative) capacity. I've always had nano tanks with less than 15g capacity, so I just buy premixed water from the LFS. My new setup is 45g with a 30g sump. That makes for a lot of 5g jugs! I realize that 75g total system capacity probably doesn't qualify as "large" in the grand scheme of things, but compared to what I'm used to, it's gigantic.

The kicker here is that this is going to be in my office on the 15th floor, so no potential to set up an RO/DI unit. I don't like the idea of using tap water. The only option I can see is buying and lugging the 13 or so jugs.

Anyone have any better ideas?

I agree with the faucet adapter for an RO/DI. Much easier than buying/round tripping/lugging 5G jugs up 15 floors. A couple of jugs is all you will need long term for ATO and water changes. I'll bet the cost of 13 good quality 5G jugs will exceed or be very close to the cost of a good reef quality RO/DI at less than $150.

Archived