ReefCleaners.org

FishFrog's new 34G - Something strange...

FishFrog

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah, you can run a tank without a skimmer. Keep the feeding under control and regular water changes.

Buzz

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352063-ye-olde-times-and-solana-34g-cube-aio-build/

Thanks, I do that so I hope it will be ok. Thanks for the thread link!

Cool new additions! The LFS is full of crap my tank has never had a skimmer, no problems.

Why does every city in Europe look so much more mature than the US? Oh, right... they're a couple hundred years older than ours. Cool pic B)

Haha I wouldn't know, I have only seen Fort Worth, Texas :P Unless I see trouble I'm going to try the skimmerless route a while longer. At least I have one lying around.

Nice tank! Also, that's awesome you live in Amsterdam. Such a lovely little city. Keep us posted, Proost!

Thanks :) Yeah it is a good place to live, with some great people!

In other tank news.. One of the worms is my tank has reached pretty scary proportions (IMO). The brain on the right is about 15 to 20cm.

It isn't shy at all but only comes out at night. It is pinkish, shimmery with hairs in lines on both sides.

We have decided to name it Shia LaBoeuf.

Even if it is harmful, there is no way I will be able to take it out because it makes me act really stupid and run away.

15968777472_658c256e6d_o.jpg

Think my hammer coral spawned again last night.

I didn't have my phone with me and by the time I got it there was nothing to photograph, sadly.

It has done this before apparently, but I wasn't at home and my ex didn't take pictures either.

Seems to happen a while after the lights are off. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I should be doing, or not doing now.

Well the file fish is proving to be a lot of fun so far.

It doesn't really swim so much as whizz around. The colour changes are very cool too.

Also, most of the aptasia on one end of the tank are gone!

So far I haven't seen him eat any coral, but I am keeping a close eye on it.

Family has given the fish a ridiculous name, so on NR he will remain file fish.

Haha. My wife named the fish we don't have even have already. The clownfish are named Omen and Nemo. The rest of the fish will be a surprise lol

Haha. My wife named the fish we don't have even have already. The clownfish are named Omen and Nemo. The rest of the fish will be a surprise lol

Omen? Haha that sounds foreboding!

You might actually be the only one on NR with a clown called Nemo I think... :P

No spawning tonight, but I do think Shia Laboeuf may be eating Kanye underneath a rock... I cant reach them though :(

Deleted User 8

Ahh, I would go S L O W. Figure your target and increase the dose over several days. I would do maybe 1ml a day for the next 4 days with testing each day to see where you are at. Low and slow that is the tempo!

Buzz

Well sadly (maybe a little predictably) my filefish ate practically all of the aiptasia and then went for the chalice coral.

I took him back to the LFS and got a discount on a shrimp/goby pair instead.

I was gone this weekend and they have moved the relatively small amount of sand I have under one rock.

It was a dumb move I think now, because if the sand bed was any older there would have been a major problem.

As it is there is no spike, because its only been up for a short while and was very shallow. The glass is greenish though, so definitely dirtied the tank up a bit.

I'm adding some more sand tomorrow and doing a WC, will take pictures later.

Really hope I can maintain this skimmerless situation.

Oh and I got a really nifty turkey baster for Sinterklaas from a friend :)

Hi everyone,

Time for some pictures. Couldn't get them looking sharp today but oh well.

I was in Paris this week and things went mostly ok with the tank. The torch frag didn't survive though, no idea what happened.

I am going to have to do some more glueing tomorrow, as the shrimp keeps carrying loose frags around.

Am really nervous about going away again on Tuesday, for two weeks. I'm going to try and instruct a friend to do a simple water out/in WC.

The new buddies:

15877972667_36efd1b047_o.jpg

Spot the goby!

15876291068_be295fd029_o.jpg

New candy cane:

15444085053_e3690dcf9b_o.jpg

Peek-a-boo!

16063741595_d80c4e4beb_o.jpg

15877972517_4027e3616b_o.jpg

FTS December:

16062219771_0580d80881_o.jpg

Deleted User 8

Nice! Might want to try a tripod and if the camera has a timer, use it. That will help with the focus I think.

Going away for two weeks...I would be concerned. Can you not touch your tank for two weeks when you are home? Might be a good idea to spend the day with the tank sitter and do all the common things that might need to be done while you are away. Water change, top off system refil, etc, etc. If you can video chat somehow with the sitter while you are away even better. Facetime if you have iphones would be very valuable. You can actually see what they would be doing in real time. If any weird issues come up you can actually see what is going on. Skype would work too I suppose.

Buzz

Thanks guys!

There are friends coming over to take care of the cat too, so I thought I could put fish food in one of those pill boxes with the day on them. Only feeding every so often.

I'm also going to pre mix all the water and walk my friend through the steps to change it. Just water out, heat water a bit and add to tank. Plus change filter floss.

If all fails my ex has offered to help out too.

Such worry much wow.

Mr. Truffels has started to open the tank flappie thing in the lid :o

Will need to secure it. Saw that the tank was covered in paw prints, so I think he must have gone crazy and jumped against it all night...

Mr. Truffels has started to open the tank flappie thing in the lid :o

Will need to secure it. Saw that the tank was covered in paw prints, so I think he must have gone crazy and jumped against it all night...

Mr. Truffels! Hopefully he'll get bored and stop the shenanigans when he realizes that he can't get through the glass. ;)

Well, one week down and things are still good.

My friends did a water change today and everything was alright.

Lets hope it will stay that way!

Archived