ReefCleaners.org

FishFrog's new 34G - Something strange...

FishFrog

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love to yellow colors. Makes it really pop. Love the gramma. My fiancee wants one also.

Thanks :) I'm hoping to fatten them up a bit so they hopefully spread.

The RG has been great - we were worried at first but all she does is posture a bit. And her behaviour is quite interesting, she is in and out of the rockwork all day bumping snails around. I hope she won't become aggressive but for now I can definitely recommend a RG!

One more!

All has gone well with the cat. Mr. Truffels seems to have become bored after realising he couldn't get inside the tank.

He is a pain during WC's though...

15284810984_b91c24ab93_o.jpg

Where have I been? This all looks great! I'm glad the move was successful and everyone seems like they are settling in well. I love that last pic of Mr. Truffels. What an evil eye he's giving TinaBob! ;)

Where have I been? This all looks great! I'm glad the move was successful and everyone seems like they are settling in well. I love that last pic of Mr. Truffels. What an evil eye he's giving TinaBob! ;)

Haha yes he certainly does...

I am glad it is over, feels like I can finally relax now and move forward.

All I still need to do is find a solution for the huge aiptasia population. I really don't want to remove any rocks :(

I had a laugh about your urchin :P And that crab looks funny too, is it a strawberry crab?

Haha yes he certainly does...

I am glad it is over, feels like I can finally relax now and move forward.

All I still need to do is find a solution for the huge aiptasia population. I really don't want to remove any rocks :(

I had a laugh about your urchin :P And that crab looks funny too, is it a strawberry crab?

That urchin is a good algae eater, but he sure is a collector. ;)

The crab is a red mithrax. Part of my quest to defeat algae without chemicals. He seems very industrious.

One more!

All has gone well with the cat. Mr. Truffels seems to have become bored after realising he couldn't get inside the tank.

He is a pain during WC's though...

15284810984_b91c24ab93_o.jpg

I love this picture.

That urchin is a good algae eater, but he sure is a collector. ;) The crab is a red mithrax. Part of my quest to defeat algae without chemicals. He seems very industrious.

Well she (?) looks lovely :) I hope it goes well for you. Are you not worried about the evil crab stories you hear? I have never had bad algae myself really but I suppose I would also prefer some kind of natural solution :)

I noticed that the aiptasia in my reef is already spreading, so I really have to find a solution for that infestation too. I just don't know what to do. Squirted two of them full of Aiptasia X the other day, sadly to no permanent effect and the clowns tried to eat it. The last peppermint shrimp I had (Zoidberg) started to eat the softies... I still blame him for the death of my beloved toxic green brain. However, the file fish the LFS is suggesting I borrow is likely to do the same. Besides, I hate the idea of 'borrowing' a fish.

I love this picture.

Thank you :happy:. Having seats on both sides of the tank lets me take fun shots.

As I am currently running the tank without a skimmer, while I do still need to feed the coral (esp. sun coral), I am seeing more algae than I'm used to. I am considering getting a tuxedo urchin to help out a bit. Our LFS sadly never has the blue leg hermits I used to have. What do you guys think?

Well she (?) looks lovely :) I hope it goes well for you. Are you not worried about the evil crab stories you hear? I have never had bad algae myself really but I suppose I would also prefer some kind of natural solution :)

I noticed that the aiptasia in my reef is already spreading, so I really have to find a solution for that infestation too. I just don't know what to do. Squirted two of them full of Aiptasia X the other day, sadly to no permanent effect and the clowns tried to eat it. The last peppermint shrimp I had (Zoidberg) started to eat the softies... I still blame him for the death of my beloved toxic green brain. However, the file fish the LFS is suggesting I borrow is likely to do the same. Besides, I hate the idea of 'borrowing' a fish.

Thank you :happy:. Having seats on both sides of the tank lets me take fun shots.

Thanks! I'm not worried… yet. In addition to my hermits I have two crabs, one is the mithrax from my picture and the other an emerald crab. I actually ordered the emerald and they sent me the mithrax as a freebie. So far both have been wonderful and are slowly working my bubble algae and little furry patches down. The red mithrax seems even a little more industrious than the emerald. If you got the urchin to help out with the algae, would you be able to return him if he got out of line? Really, the worst he will do is eat some of your coraline and maybe carry around a frag or two. :happy:

I was having a few aiptasia here and there and was chasing them with a syring of near-boiling water, which worked well but was never ending. I finally broke down and got a peppermint shrimp and have no more problem. I'm making sure he eats whenever I feed the tank so hopefully he will not go rogue on me!

That sounds good. I have been trying the aiptasia x but there are so many. .. i will ask them about the urchin. My corraline grows something fierce. It even out competes some coral!

Deleted User 8

Monkeying with aiptasia can lead to them spreading like crazy. All it takes is a few cells to grow into another one. If you try boiling hot water inject directly into them quickly and the water needs to be very hot.

They can be very difficult to get rid of. Another good arguement for a quarantine tank.

But then you live in my favorite place on earth...things can't be all bad! I lived for a while on a woonboot right in the middle of the Entrepotdok across from the Artis Zoo. Ahh, gezellig...Actually, the boat was kind of a national treasure. It was built in 1897 and was used to plug a breach in a dyke during the 1953 North Sea flood and saved three million people from flooding. http://www.deltawerken.com/Rescue-and-consequences/309.html You can see the boat in the first picture to the left.

Sadly, she was refit in 2010 and moved to England as a houseboat rental. However, it can now sailed under it's own power.

Veel geluk!

Buzz

Monkeying with aiptasia can lead to them spreading like crazy. All it takes is a few cells to grow into another one. If you try boiling hot water inject directly into them quickly and the water needs to be very hot.

They can be very difficult to get rid of. Another good arguement for a quarantine tank.

But then you live in my favorite place on earth...things can't be all bad! I lived for a while on a woonboot right in the middle of the Entrepotdok across from the Artis Zoo. Ahh, gezellig...Actually, the boat was kind of a national treasure. It was built in 1897 and was used to plug a breach in a dyke during the 1953 North Sea flood and saved three million people from flooding. http://www.deltawerken.com/Rescue-and-consequences/309.html You can see the boat in the first picture to the left.

Sadly, she was refit in 2010 and moved to England as a houseboat rental. However, it can now sailed under it's own power.

Veel geluk!

Buzz

Haha that sounds amazing! I would love to live in a house boat. Who knows, maybe when I finally graduate :P

Are you still living in the Netherlands? It would be great to know more Dutch reef people!

Amsterdam is really a great place to live. Before this we lived in Scotland and my native South Africa. You don't have much nature here like I was used to, but the city is wonderful.

As far as the Aiptasia is concerned, I am going to introduce them to my new buddy the File fish and pray he doesn't go for the coral. According to the LFS this one is an aptasia eating fiend and if he goes rogue I will take him back. Really hope it isn't a huge mistake.

Deleted User 8

Unfortunately, I am back in the states now, still near the water (Puget Sound) but on dry land. Houseboat livin is quite nice!

IMO, if the fish ate all my coral AND aiptasia, it would be worth it...

Buzz

Unfortunately, I am back in the states now, still near the water (Puget Sound) but on dry land. Houseboat livin is quite nice!

IMO, if the fish ate all my coral AND aiptasia, it would be worth it...

Buzz

Not bad! I am definitely going to visit that part of the world sometime. Everyone always says it is beautiful. :)

I am acclimating atm. Will let you know how it goes.

That does happen. Not sure if it is good or bad. Probably bad... :huh:

Buzz

I hope not :( I am reading that it can have something to do with camouflage

It's probably fine, I just never assume anything is good in this hobby unless proven otherwise!

Buzz

Reefing with anxiety haha! It is how I do things mostly too.

Deleted User 8

Reefing with anxiety haha! It is how I do things mostly too.

Yeah,me too I guess. I have been losing sleep over my new tank lately.

Here is a tip, if you are dreaming of doing a water change, get up and go to the bathroom. Trust me on this.

Buzz

Yeah,me too I guess. I have been losing sleep over my new tank lately.

Here is a tip, if you are dreaming of doing a water change, get up and go to the bathroom. Trust me on this.

Buzz

Tell me about it. These last few weeks I have been up checking the tank in the middle of the night so often. Lots of dreams about it crashing down...

It does get better once it settles I suppose. I am also dreaming of other things again :P

BTW do you have a thread?

Everything seems to be doing fine.

WC day today, all went well.

SG is still low but I suppose that will take time.

The LFS freaked me out a little bit yesterday. I don't run a skimmer atm. The big one that came with the tank is really stuck in there, so I won't use it. I can't get it out to clean and I can't empty the cup either. I still have the smaller one but I thought I would try without. So far no problems. But yeah, the LFS guy told me it would probably crash. I know there are tanks without skimmers that do well. Doesn't stop me worrying though.

In order news. Spotted a cool green mollusk type thing underneath the chalice coral It opens a bit at night. Since last week I have found a couple. 15968308625_0c60f6155c_o.jpg

The new bad boys: 15782598797_e2de7482e4_o.jpg

The file fish is very strange. It changes colour and rotates its eyes like a chameleon. It also hovers more than that it swims.. Seems to be picking at the rocks but hasn't eaten much yet. The urchin mainly likes the coralline so far.

And a different kind of photo. This is the view from my bedroom in the morning :)15782297099_c1e1b60b17_o.jpg

Cool new additions! The LFS is full of crap my tank has never had a skimmer, no problems.

Why does every city in Europe look so much more mature than the US? Oh, right... they're a couple hundred years older than ours. Cool pic B)

Archived