Innovative Marine Aquariums

looking for a skimmer

Idontknowz

Wanting to pick up a skimmer for my 40 breeder that has surface scum from time to time.

I have a aquamaxx on another 40 breeder that I love. Pulls out some really dark stuff, mud color not tea. I can't get another one of those due to clearance issues and would have to trim back the lip of an already running tank or it would be already decided.

So the skimmer has to be something that goes inside a display tank, no sump.

I've been looking at the tunze 9004 but hear the mag/suction cups are horrible. The 9001 might be too small, so from everything I've seen my selection is limited. There's also the Hydor slim skim but it's seems kinda tall for a 40 breeder? I really like the look of the I.M ghost but it's not made for a regular tank and it's love/hate noise and sketchy reviews..

any suggestions or recommendations? Am I missing something great out there? Thanks for any and all help

I use the Red Sea Berlin Airlift 60 on my 29gal and I believe it is one of the best protein skimmers I've seen when compared to similar water volume skimmer. I know many people have mixed feelings about these types of skimmers but this one works better than my CAD PLS-50 ever hoped to work. It does have a very large footprint for its size so that is something to take into consideration.

I use the Red Sea Berlin Airlift 60 on my 29gal and I believe it is one of the best protein skimmers I've seen when compared to similar water volume skimmer. I know many people have mixed feelings about these types of skimmers but this one works better than my CAD PLS-50 ever hoped to work. It does have a very large footprint for its size so that is something to take into consideration.

Ive been looking at the 90, myself.

I would probably DIY one, but the price is so low on these, it doesnt make sense to.

Ill do a head to head with the over-rated SCA 301 skimmer. Will post results after experiment. Expect to post SCA 301 in hardware classifieds after results are in.

diy bottle skimmer, thats mine:

cost me probably 10 with pump.

Dont let your wife catch you pouring fish poop into her sink.

How many 's is it for a week at the local Express Inn (or equivalent).

Ive been looking at the 90, myself.

I would probably DIY one, but the price is so low on these, it doesnt make sense to.

Ill do a head to head with the over-rated SCA 301 skimmer. Will post results after experiment. Expect to post SCA 301 in hardware classifieds after results are in.

I picked mine up for $38 with shipping and I had an air pump I don't use so I thought it was a great deal. The skim is a dark tea color and fills up once every two days but I only keep two fish so I don't expect it to be the dirtiest skim either. I'm interested to see how it compares to something like the sca301

Archived