SaltCritters.com

Is this LED diode burnt?

mrBananas

I noticed that one of my violets appears to have a burn in the diode. Is the diode about to fail? If the diode fails, will it cause further damage to the rest of the channel? Please advise, thanks!

HonoAJI.jpg

nAW3Bxh.jpg

looks like it.. pretty common on violet LEDs.. it won't fail, it's just discolored the primary lens.

Is the primary lens part of the diode itself or is that something I can replace? Thanks

From the picture it looks like the coating is burned and not the optic. Replacing the coating will be next to impossible.

it's the primary optic (not the secondary optic, or "lens"). I think I saw somwhere people were recommending scraping that "coating" (primary optic) off completely and putting the secondary optic (lens) back on.

This LED is near to dead. I think, it had work on excessive amperage, that has caused overheating of the LED crystal and browning the primary optics.

no, it's got nothing to do with the led life, it has to do with the composition of the primary optic being burnt by the spectrum of light.

Is the primary lens part of the diode itself or is that something I can replace? Thanks

I don't think you can replace it, but I think people were recommending scraping the primary off when this happens.. if you search it (either in the search bar or on google) you should get plenty of hits..

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/318283-true-violet-lens-reliability/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335775-leds-browning-out-not-just-violet-now-rb/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/333283-darn-uv-aka-violet-leds-browning-out-new-silicone-lenses-better/

the last link there someone tried taking the primary off, I can't vouch for how well that works, but that's not the only place I've seen it mentioned..

composition of the primary optic being burnt by the spectrum of light.

Please be informed - optical silicone, that used for primary optic, can't be burned by violet spectrum in anyway.

Please be informed - optical silicone, that used for primary optic, can't be burned by violet spectrum in anyway.

what ben said.. it's not a silicone optic..

jedimasterben

Primary lens made from PMMA? Really? Never seen such in my life. Can you please show me such LED?

Look at any Chinese LED. They use PMMA unless explicitly specified, and even then it probably is still PMMA.

Didn't the first batch of steve's hyper violets have an issue where the primary lens would brown out? This looks similar.

All violet LEDs had this issue until about a year and a half ago when manufacturers started using silicone lenses.

Slice or scrape it off with exacto blade.

Like Ben said its cheap chinese "lens". It will break mostly itself the second you touch it.

Replace it with new if you have any doubts.

Look at any Chinese LED. They use PMMA unless explicitly specified, and even then it probably is still PMMA.

You are right. I had not paying enough attention. Surprised that someone uses this crap in their lamps. The lamp on the photo looks like a factory production.

You are right. I had not paying enough attention. Surprised that someone uses this crap in their lamps. The lamp on the photo looks like a factory production.

These are all lights with dirt cheap $0.05 "Bridgelux" LEDs. The Bridgelux name is being pushed a lot more now so people will think it's the USA brand which makes high end stuff.

jedimasterben

These are all lights with dirt cheap $0.05 "Bridgelux" LEDs. The Bridgelux name is being pushed a lot more now so people will think it's the USA brand which makes high end stuff.

Bridgelux does make lower-output royal blue diodes that are used as the base for white LEDs, but even then at 700mA they have around 740mW output in the top bins, for a whopping 31% efficiency (2.38w used). For reference, at the same current and temperature, the Luxeon T has around 1300mW flux in the top bin, and is about 66% efficient (1.96w used).

If only Bridgelux would sell something like their Vero series without the phosphor. :)

Ever thought of removing it?

The lens? I may but I'm waiting for a reply from the seller as it's still under warranty.

And thanks to everyone for the responses!

Have you?

On the K otc bulbs, yes. For just a driverless socket light.

Never had a Vero, myself. Had those Crees, never thought of it at the time. Its was jelly like, silicone.

Exacto blade or careful dremelling maybe mighta would clear it off. If I had one laying around, I would try.

To verify, is the discoloring on the exterior surface of the lens similar to a car head light? I assumed it was interior and not something I could scrape off.

Archived