Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which one is shocking me?

Nano tanker Nick

Nano tanker Nick

When i put my fingers in the tank to feed my clowns I got the tingling shocking feeling. Unplugged everything one by one and it goes away when I unplug my skimmer, with everything still running. Then i can plug my skimmer back up then turn off my return pump and it goes away again. It's like it's only getting me when they are both running together. Skimmer is a psk150 in sump, and return pump is a rio 3100+. I have a small cut on my finger, so that's how I can tell the zapping feeling. And i know it's just not the saltwater because I don't feel it when i turn either one off. Suggestions?

Deleted User 8

Yeah, uhhm, you should stop sticking you fingers in the tank! Stray voltage and salt water can be deadly. Get a meter. Even if you were not getting shocked, not good to stick your hands in the tank with an open wound. We have lots of crazy things growing in our tank that you don't want to get into that cut.

Also, get a grounding probe. Cheap insurance.

What is everything plugged into? GFCI?

Buzz

Nano tanker Nick

Tested for stray voltage and sitting at 07.4. When I unplug either it drops to about 4. So I don't think anything is wrong with either system but why am I feeling a tingling?

Yeah, uhhm, you should stop sticking you fingers in the tank! Stray voltage and salt water can be deadly. Get a meter. Even if you were not getting shocked, not good to stick your hands in the tank with an open wound. We have lots of crazy things growing in our tank that you don't want to get into that cut.

Also, get a grounding probe. Cheap insurance.

What is everything plugged into? GFCI?

Buzz

Everything is plugged into a GFCI protected power strip mounted under the tank. The cut is just where you get that piece of skin that sticks out by your nail and you pull it off and leaves a small cut.

Deleted User 8

That fairly low, sounds like induced voltage. You are measuring AC, right? Even with everything opertating fine, you can get induced voltage from perfectly operating equipment, which is different than line current leaking into your tank. That is why the GFCI didnt trip. It is not any one thing, but a combination (Usually)

I would still get the grounding probe.

Were you barefoot when you had your hand in the tank?

Buzz

Nano tanker Nick

That fairly low, sounds like induced voltage. You are measuring AC, right? Even with everything opertating fine, you can get induced voltage from perfectly operating equipment, which is different than line current leaking into your tank. That is why the GFCI didnt trip. It is not any one thing, but a combination (Usually)

I would still get the grounding probe.

Were you barefoot when you had your hand in the tank?

Buzz

Yes AC. And yes I was barefoot, and now that you mention that I went and put a pair of shoes on and it goes away. Crazy how that sort of thing works. I'll order one from bulk reef supply tonight. Thanks for the help!

Archived