Coral Vue Hydros

CoralVue T5/LED fixtures, $100

farkwar

Interesting. I just got mine, it doesn't have switches on the actual fixture, nor does it have a dimming knob for the LEDs anywhere I could find at least. It does include hanging hardware. It's definitely MUCH heavier than my crappy oddysea(no surprise). The fans aren't super loud. Seems like it's actually pretty high quality overall.

Nice. What's the width of the LED section? Is it at least 2 inches?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I just got mine, it doesn't have switches on the actual fixture, nor does it have a dimming knob for the LEDs anywhere I could find at least. It does include hanging hardware. It's definitely MUCH heavier than my crappy oddysea(no surprise). The fans aren't super loud. Seems like it's actually pretty high quality overall.

Can you measure the led section?

Okay so the face of the LED section (the max width of any retro LED you could do) is 2 1/4". the width of the little heatsink on the back of that section ~1 3/4". The length of the heatsink on the LED section is ~31 1/4" on the 36" fixture.

My two complaints so far:

The thing is a cat/dog hair MAGNET.

One of the acrylic shields on mine takes a ridiculous amount of force to get it back on.

Looks like Nanobox Retro's are a go if the 1.5" square size is 100% accurate. Though if I were doing that I may consider getting a 32" heatsink from heatsink USA with longer fins.

I wish it had come in pearlescent white though, that would be so badass.

This is all of the pictures I took:

http://imgur.com/a/0li4F

You can see the fans should help cool the entire fixture, not just the LEDs. There should be ample room to do an LED retro.

I like that the ballasts are both Fulham WH5's.

So this heatsink would be a perfect fit.

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

4 pucks would be more than enough to grow anything plus the T5 with this thing. Also the fan on it looks like a 60mm fan which means this might drop right in.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-60x25mm-Blades-Bearing-Premium/dp/B009NQMESS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415482685&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+60mm

2x of these on the ends would be more than enough to cool the light.

Is there a way to measure the fan?

I wish it had come in pearlescent white though, that would be so badass.

This is all of the pictures I took:

http://imgur.com/a/0li4F

You can see the fans should help cool the entire fixture, not just the LEDs. There should be ample room to do an LED retro.

I like that the ballasts are both Fulham WH5's.

Thanks for the pics. So based on the measurements a Coralux 5up board is doable where the fan and LED power supplies are. 4x LDD and one SCW on the board or a 4-up with 4x LDD and then just rewire the giant cable going out. The fan cable to 12V power so controller, fans, etc. and the LED cable for a 48V power supply external. No need for any extra cabling as the main power is all you need.

If the fan is 40mm then this would drop right in.

http://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-Bearing-Premium-Cooling-NF-A4x10/dp/B009NQLT0M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415482685&sr=8-4&keywords=noctua+60mm

This light is pretty damn awesome. Has all the right stuff asking for a nanobox retro.

One of the 24s is gone.

I know im going to be kicking myself for not buying more, in a month or three.

Just a housing they are great price. They come prewired, with a novel cord system.

They will make great T5 LED hybrid fixtures.

Well,

I caved, Two more. Just incase.

I have my Mossy Carnivorous Plants Terrarium covered.

And my Dart Frog Vertical Vivarium covered.

Or someone might offer me $1200 to build them an awesome hybrid reef light, who knows. 6 light fixtures in two weeks, neighbors are going to think someTHing funCky going on. REEFER MADNESS!!!

What do you call a piece of candy with a stick in it?

Well,

I caved, Two more. Just incase.

I have my Mossy Carnivorous Plants Terrarium covered.

And my Dart Frog Vertical Vivarium covered.

Or someone might offer me $1200 to build them an awesome hybrid reef light, who knows. 6 light fixtures in two weeks, neighbors are going to think someTHing funCky going on. REEFER MADNESS!!!

What do you call a piece of candy with a stick in it?

Badass!!!

What bulbs should I get for it? UVL? Giesemann(sp?)? ATI?

I really love the color that UVL Super Actinics have. If I could get that as my sunrise/sunset color that would be awesome. I'd like to get a dual timer and have it set up to do:

(10AM) - LEDs & fans on

(11AM) - actinic bulb(s) on (Channel B )

(Noon) - day bulbs on (Channel A)

(8PM) - day bulbs off (Channel A)

(9:30PM) - Actinic bulbs off (Channel B )

(11PM) - LEDs & fans off

What I was considering was:

Channel A:

1x ATI Coral+

1x ATI Blue+

Channel B:

1x ATI True Actinic, Giesemann Actinic+ or UVL Super Actinic

1x ATI Blue+

I'd like a roughly 18,000K spectrum, a bit more blue than a Kessil 350W but not too blue. I really do not like any purple in the tank and I want to avoid it.

DOOO IT!

Yea..... but i doubt ill be upgrading for atleast a year.... and by that time who knows what i might find, maybe a ATI fixture, tek retro, etc. lmao

Edit: but then i was thinking about putting it over my 29g... but that would be hella overkill...

Yea..... but i doubt ill be upgrading for atleast a year.... and by that time who knows what i might find, maybe a ATI fixture, tek retro, etc. lmao

Edit: but then i was thinking about putting it over my 29g... but that would be hella overkill...

And overkill is bad why?

:)

I say do it, at $120 shipped it's worth it.

lol, honestly with the recent trend of everyone going back to T5s you might be hard pressed on find one for a good deal.

I would be all over this if i wasn't already loaded with light fixtures ranging of all sizes. lol

what are you planning on upgrading to anyway?

Archived