Top Shelf Aquatics

CoralVue T5/LED fixtures, $100

farkwar

I do plan to replace the fans, but the only 12v things are the two fans and the Bluefish Mini. Not sure if I need more power or not. Ideally if possibly I want just one power cord from the fixture.

I very highly doubt it will be cut and dry like that lol, but why are you asking the question instead of opening it up and looking around? :lol:

A valid question, if I'm honest it's just because it's currently hanging, though when I do the ballasts I'll see if it's simple or not lol.

I assume this is a power supply I could use? http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-se-350-48/

No idea if it would fit internally though, will have to measure when I open it up. :S

So in theory regarding the actual LDD drivers... I would get:
Open to any thoughts. :)
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do plan to replace the fans, but the only 12v things are the two fans and the Bluefish Mini. Not sure if I need more power or not. Ideally if possibly I want just one power cord from the fixture.

A valid question, if I'm honest it's just because it's currently hanging, though when I do the ballasts I'll see if it's simple or not lol.

I assume this is a power supply I could use? http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-se-350-48/

No idea if it would fit internally though, will have to measure when I open it up. :S

So in theory regarding the actual LDD drivers... I would get:
Open to any thoughts. :)

Spend $20 more and get this:

http://pge.powergatellc.com/product_info.php/products_id/1477

Also get your LDDs from same place as they are cheaper:

http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-well-ldd-h-power-supply.html

The money you save from the LDDs gets you the better power supply.

I would also recommend a tap kit for the heatsink and the nanobox pucks. I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YUVSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062BKNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would also look into retrofitting bigger noctua fans in there. 160W of thermal load is no joke.

Just curious what the difference in the two PSU's is? Form factor? I have a tap wrench so I could just get the actual tap you linked.

I've been thinking about the fan thing as well.. Might be able to get by with 60mm fans on the ends, or possibly a 60mm on each end and 3 distributed through the top, not sure yet to be honest. One thing is I will be attaching fans directly to the top of the heatsink over each puck, to give them some direct cooling.

Just curious what the difference in the two PSU's is? Form factor? I have a tap wrench so I could just get the actual tap you linked.

I've been thinking about the fan thing as well.. Might be able to get by with 60mm fans on the ends, or possibly a 60mm on each end and 3 distributed through the top, not sure yet to be honest. One thing is I will be attaching fans directly to the top of the heatsink over each puck, to give them some direct cooling.

The one I linked is waterproof and also fanless. The one you linked has a very loud fan when it kicks on.

jedimasterben

The one I linked is waterproof and also fanless. The one you linked has a very loud fan when it kicks on.

Not to mention significantly higher in efficiency and is designed to run at 100% load.

Assuming Coralux gets more of the 24 pin sockets in, my first round of orders will be:

Round 1:

Coralux - the 6UP board, 8 of the sockets, 5x LDD 1000H, 1x LDD 700H

heatsink USA - 36"x2.079" heatsink

Amazon - 2x Noctua 40mm fans (one for each end)

Amazon - 4x Noctua 60mm fans (to be attached directly to the heatsink.)*

Amazon - Paracord for sleeving, I'm thinking black, white and grey, already have orange.

Round 2:

SPS, maybe elsewhere? - Meanwell HLG 240H (As recommended above)

Estreetplastics - 1/8" sheet of lexan or acrylic, not sure which yet, 9"x48" and then cut down to size.

Decent Soldering station/iron, my $10 radio shack iron isn't going to cut it for this.**

Round 3:

4x Nanobox v3 Pucks

*experience building computers says I should not need to add fans to the fixture, instead I will add fans directly to the heatsink for active cooling over hot spots.

**Any thoughts on a good one, maybe under like $50 or so?

Am I missing anything? Any thoughts on what wire to get or good solder?

I would give Sager a miss in favor of onlinecomponents.com as their shipping is cheaper and flat rate.

At least for me it was. Sager can't ship to me for less than $12 for a handful (4) LDD-350H.

Heck it could be even cheaper in your case to just get them from Coralux just because you're already buying stuff from them.

Factoring shipping costs in ahead of time will save you a lot of money.

I would give Sager a miss in favor of onlinecomponents.com as their shipping is cheaper and flat rate.

At least for me it was. Sager can't ship to me for less than $12 for a handful (4) LDD-350H.

Heck it could be even cheaper in your case to just get them from Coralux just because you're already buying stuff from them.

Factoring shipping costs in ahead of time will save you a lot of money.

That is true, good point. Will edit above accordingly.

So.... Thinking what would be kinda cool to do is add on a few custom 3ups from Steves, maybe with something like an amber/orange, warm white and a lime? The idea being to get a super warm sunrise effect, sort of like the reddish orange sunrise I get at the beach here in FL, thoughts?

This would only be for sunrise, not moonlights or during the day. I'm not set on t but I do think it would be kinda neat.

• 3 months later...

Doesn't seem like it. I know mine is just collecting dust in my storage shed right now. I can make a list of parts if you tell me what you want to do mod wise

To be honest I'm not really sure. Bout to set up a deep blue 34 shallow and already have some CNC Asis I built but wanted to see what the better way to go is. Do I sell the asis lights and mod this 4 x 36 or sell it instead.

Wasn't, I just had the unit sitting in my garage collecting dust. Asis unit isn't set up yet either. Ongoing build for over a year now.

Wasn't, I just had the unit sitting in my garage collecting dust. Asis unit isn't set up yet either. Ongoing build for over a year now.

Ah what Asis do you have? I just finished mine a few months ago and it's awesome. Still working on improving it with a board from O2 got some faulty boards and just haven't got to taking my T5's off my timer lol

• 1 month later...

K guys, going to start on this. Flying blind.. woo ya.

Excitement!

It's OK Ben is one heck of a navigator.

The ballast should be pretty easy. Ben will know better but I'm pretty sure the workhorse has the same number of wires as the hep does. If so that will make for a very easy swap.

Excitement!

It's OK Ben is one heck of a navigator.

The ballast should be pretty easy. Ben will know better but I'm pretty sure the workhorse has the same number of wires as the hep does. If so that will make for a very easy swap.

I don't think it does. Workhorse use shunted endcaps.

Archived