inTank Media Baskets

what is the best filter media to run in my nanocube?

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

so im battling some bad algae and im wondering if part of it could be what im running for filtration. i have filter floss in the top, poly pad in the middle, and carbon in the bottom? Im wondering if my carbon is leeching phosphates into the water and feeding the algae. Also anyone know which carbons leech more phosphates and which ones are the best?

When was the last time you replaced your carbon? Do you know your phosphate levels? Lowering phosphate levels is done much better with a media designed for that purpose, like Phosgaurd. Carbon is more for removing impurities and organics in the water and all carbon media will leech some phosphates and just about every brand claims to do better than the other.

This is one of the best brands of activated carbon: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

Algae is caused by nutrients in your water. You should be monitoring both nitrate and phosphate. You'll need a low range phosphate kit to detect recommended levels (0.03 ppm). Note that algae blooms will cause the results to be artificially low, as the bloom is utilizing the inorganic phosphate in the water.

tdannhauser30

When was the last time you replaced your carbon? Do you know your phosphate levels? Lowering phosphate levels is done much better with a media designed for that purpose, like Phosgaurd. Carbon is more for removing impurities and organics in the water and all carbon media will leech some phosphates and just about every brand claims to do better than the other.

Yeah i love that carbon pulls out all sorts of bad stuff but if its going to leach phosphate i dont want it. My phosphate always reads 0 but i think that must be because the algae is sucking it up before i can test for it.

This is one of the best brands of activated carbon: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

Algae is caused by nutrients in your water. You should be monitoring both nitrate and phosphate. You'll need a low range phosphate kit to detect recommended levels (0.03 ppm). Note that algae blooms will cause the results to be artificially low, as the bloom is utilizing the inorganic phosphate in the water.

Exactly my problem! i swear every time i test for it it reads zero so it must be the algae sucking it up. I use an API reef test kit, any idea if that thing is reliable

I use an API reef test kit, any idea if that thing is reliable

It's reliable enough; but the phosphate kit is a high range test, so it's worthless for use in a reef tank. The phosphate kit goes up in 0.25 ppm increments; however, the recommended level is 0.03 ppm. So as soon as you see any indication of phosphate using this test, the phosphate level is already about 10 times higher than it should be.

Yeah i love that carbon pulls out all sorts of bad stuff but if its going to leach phosphate i dont want it. My phosphate always reads 0 but i think that must be because the algae is sucking it up before i can test for it.

Keep using carbon but add a little bit of a phosphate absorber into your bag of carbon. I just fill a bag with 75% carbon 25% phosgaurd and I change every 6-8 weeks.

Not so much... the API's a high-range kit - you're not going to see a positive test result unless your tank water looks more like farmland runoff. Looking at their color chart for saltwater the lowest graduation above zero is 0.25ppm... the range you're testing for is in 0.0x ppm.

Red sea, Hanna or Salifert would probably be better bets.

tdannhauser30

ok im going to try adding some phosguard to it and order a better test i guess. Or maybe just take it to lfs. Thank you all who responded

Archived