Pod Your Reef

Who's running triple hybrid lights?

gus6464

Ok someone locally is selling an Ocean Light Plus 150W 2x24W for really cheap. All it needs is a new T5 ballast which is $24 for HEP. The MH ballast works fine. Now the question is if I go and retrofit my current quad nanoboxes LED system into this thing which is easily doable I will have:

4x nanobox pucks

4x rapidled quad core violets

48W T5

150 MH

Will that much light destroy all life in my tank?

NorthGaHillbilly

It'd have to be either a deep tank or a really high pendent IMO, I had that same pendent on my 12" deep tank and it was touch and go with some of my LPS

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352805-ocean-light-plus-halidet5-combo-retrofitted-with-nanobox-leds/#entry4865094

Rehype is actually sell it. And for a damn good price.

And Klein, I'm on mobile and I just copy and paste the link and it does the rest. I'm on android so I'm not sure about other OS but it should be the same.

Just too lazy to dig through the forums on mobile.

It'd have to be either a deep tank or a really high pendent IMO, I had that same pendent on my 12" deep tank and it was touch and go with some of my LPS

My tank is 18" tall. I have a really shallow sand bed which 1/2" at most. My current lights are 6" above the top of the tank. If I did this crazy triple hybrid I was thinking of sliding it up to 1ft above the tank top.

NorthGaHillbilly

My tank is 18" tall. I have a really shallow sand bed which 1/2" at most. My current lights are 6" above the top of the tank. If I did this crazy triple hybrid I was thinking of sliding it up to 1ft above the tank top.

I had my light ~18" above the water line, but on a 12" tank. At 18" of water and as long as your not looking to run it at 100% Im SURE you could make it work great. I thought of doing the same thing with the Aqua Medic, its built perfectly to make it an easy mod.

Ok someone locally is selling an Ocean Light Plus 150W 2x24W for really cheap. All it needs is a new T5 ballast which is $24 for HEP. The MH ballast works fine. Now the question is if I go and retrofit my current quad nanoboxes LED system into this thing which is easily doable I will have:

4x nanobox pucks

4x rapidled quad core violets

48W T5

150 MH

Will that much light destroy all life in my tank?

HM on for a couple hours mid day.

And 4 pucks for coverage not intensity. It would be cool.

Your corals will tell you where to set the violets.

HM on for a couple hours mid day.

And 4 pucks for coverage not intensity. It would be cool.

Your corals will tell you where to set the violets.

This was my train of thought. I run a 10hr photoperiod right now no ramp up or down, everything just turns on. Thinking if I did this I would go:

Ushio 10K - 4-5 hour mid day burst

LED - 10 hour but at 50% power instead of 80% right now

T5 - 10 hour

Doing this would probably make the MH bulb last a long time. Also doing the math energy usage wise running the MH for 5 hours and reducing LED power to 50% would be same energy usage as LED @ 80% all the time. Plus would also extend LED life.

Screw it, I think I am doing it.

jedimasterben

The issue with vapor lighting is not just how many hours it is run for, but also starting isn't the easiest on the bulb and wears them down, as well, so while running the MH for only 4-5 hours daily you will only extend the usable life by a little bit. The more blue the bulb has, the shorter those phosphors are able to stay blue.

Its a nice looking housing too. Looking at Rehype's.

I would definitely heatsink behind the pucks and put a couple 140 Noctuas fans inside.

If his is still for sale, you cant build that for less. The NanoBoxes are custom blues and violet only, sexy cool.

Looking at the AM site, some shit comes with ballasts and some doesn't, kinda chintsey.

Rehypes comes with everything.

The issue with vapor lighting is not just how many hours it is run for, but also starting isn't the easiest on the bulb and wears them down, as well, so while running the MH for only 4-5 hours daily you will only extend the usable life by a little bit. The more blue the bulb has, the shorter those phosphors are able to stay blue.

What he said. There is a reason why a lot of quality ballasts won't let you fire the bulb for at least fifteen minutes after a power disruption.

I would definitely heatsink behind the pucks and put a couple 140 Noctuas fans inside.

If his is still for sale, you cant build that for less. The NanoBoxes are custom blues and violet only, sexy cool.

Looking at the AM site, some shit comes with ballasts and some doesn't, kinda chintsey.

Comes with Reeflex 150W magnetic ballast. I already have everything else to make including 120mm noctuas which are on my current fixture.

Thanks for the plug klein and farkwar. I thought so as well considering it cost $300 alone for the LED mod. It has the fans,heatsink and controller as well.

Thanks for the plug klein and farkwar. I thought so as well considering it cost $300 alone for the LED mod. It has the fans,heatsink and controller as well.

Does yours have the magnetic or e-ballast? If it's the magnetic how loud is it? Does it get pretty hot?

Does yours have the magnetic or e-ballast? If it's the magnetic how loud is it? Does it get pretty hot?

magnetic... its not loud IMO. I can't say as ive never touched the ballast while running.

Archived