Coral Vue Hydros

Increase flow in Fluval Spec V

ninjamyst

I need more flow in my Fluval Spec V but dont want to add a pump in the display. I am already running the Marineland 606 and took off the original return nozzle. If I position the pump higher and shorten the tube that goes from the pump to the return outlet, will that increase flow by alot?

I'm also curious.. I have the 606 pump as well, and close to the middle of the tank, flow gets cut down quite a bit. My frogspawn and xenia move around a bit, but it's not enough to clear detritus and such, which has built up on the overflow wall.

I feel like the pump will be putting out its max volume regarless of pipe length.

I know that pipe width can slow down flow, but if your pump is running at max capacity, increasing that wont help, and changing pipe length should have a negligible effect going from 6 inches to 3 inches.

You could try adding a second pump in the chamber to increase flow, but it would be really cramped in there if youre trying to fit a heater and some media too.

What I would probably do is make up a closed loop system with an external pump. Im not sure if Im explaining this right, but basically have an intake tube in the filter area, that runs to behind the tank to an external pump, and then have a return tubing running back into the filter area and attaching to a nozzle, and you would have to drill a new spot for the nozzle though. Or if it was me, I wouldn't want to do that, and I would attach the tubing to a small canister filter return on the far end of the tank, either unobtrusive black plastic, or you could get some glass lily pipes that are basically invisible, and then have flow coming from each side of the tank.

You can find a lot of people doing this, but then having a wide section of tube filled with floss, and they call it a DIY cheap external canister filter, but you could use it just for creating more flow. You should be able to google how it works, and If I get more time Ill try and find you some links.

Archived