inTank Media Baskets

Top off during cycle

Peeleca

Good afternoon everyone.

I have been patient for approximately 6months in acquiring all the necessary equipment for my 20g tall reef. I am ready to begin the cycling process, but before I started wanted the advice of the experienced reefers.

I will be flying out of state for five days, and thought this would be a good time to allow the tank to begin its cycle. Which leads to my question, how detrimental, if at all, is it to perform top off during the cycling phase? I ask this specific question because I will be cutting off the flow to my sump, to avoid any catastrophe from water loss. I'll maintain circulation in the tank by use of my powerheads.

I appreciate this community and have learned a lot form this resource.

It wont hurt anything at all assuming you have no fish or coral in there. Top it off when you get back. Also don't assume that the cycle has completed in the time you were gone. Especially if your sump hasn't been circulating with the tank for that period.

There is no life in the tank. I will be cycling with a dead piece of store bought shrimp. The sump is now dry. I ran RO/DI water through to ensure everything was working appropriately.

There will be no ill effect from not topping it off during the cycle. Also I dont think you will have that much evaporation on a 20 gallon tank. I only evaporate on a 24 gallon tank about a gallon a week if that. I would recommend you get a ATO and start using that makes everything just so much more simple.

Archived