ReefCleaners.org

Starfish identification

TheCurriculum

TheCurriculum
Been poking around the web trying to identify this star fish ... Back to SW after a break, 10 g tank has been cooking for a few months. Have a rock anenome (had him for years) added a couple open brains, zoa, cleanup crew and now this gu

StarFish

TheCurriculum

CronicReefer.

Woo hoo that looks like a winner ! :wizard:

krndy1ng,

note:

education,

While I did buy a star fish without research (I try to avoid that). The LFS has not encountered issues keeping them just doesn't get them in often so it's a buy now or wait a few years. (I prefer lfs over online). So my next step is to learn the lore of this star fish and all the best way to feed and keep him happy.

acclimation,

He has been in the tank for a week'ish. I did my last feeding while acclimating the star than did a large water change before finishing acclimating over the next day. I have a 2.5g cheapo tank that I use to acclimate for an extra day in tank water (HOB, Heater, Light). Added him in and was instantly moving around. The rock is all seasoned.

feeding,

I am a habitual over feeder of my coral. Just picked up some oyster goo for my zoa, brain and anomie. Will see if he will much on that. I can also try a small krill, but will look at what others are feeding after completed some research. He may just be a rock grazer. I have always fed open brains 2 to 3 times weekly. If there are necessary supplements for full health I will get those and dose as necessary.

Water quality,

All bad levels are 0 or close enough to not register on testing. I was running a small cheap skimmer in tank from a 12g but it wasn't cutting it. Now running an octopus HOB-90 and my water is crystal and what little algae on 1 rock is almost all gone. water surface has no scum or protein buildup, octo skims like a champ with no micro bubbles getting back in the tank. I have an ATO so the salinity only various by a tiny amount and weekly water changes take care of the rest @ 2 to 3 gallons in total.

TheCurriculum

Thanks again.

Happy starfish now, he loves krill and is munching on a big chunk soaked with a little oyster goo. First tank feed since getting him. Will do a 2 to 3 g water change later today

Archived