Coral Vue Hydros

D's 16 gallon nuvo NANOBOX mix reef

d_adler

Hello nano reef. Ive been scanning these forums for a couple months now reading as much as i can and have finally decided to add a page for my own build. im fairly new to reefing and this will be a huge learning experience. I can thank my brother for getting me into reefing and now im hooked.

Equipment

Tank: innovation marine 16 gallon tank

Lighting: Stock lighting NanoBox Duo w/ storm controller

Circulation: Hydor Koralia 425

ATO: Tunze nano Osmolator

Filtration: InTank media baskets

Refugium: Intake media basket with chato

Heater: Cobalt Neo Therm 75w Heater

Fish

Black Snowflake clown

Wymoning White Clown

mocha snowflake clown

Snowflake clown

Springeri dottyback

Cleaner shrimp

sexy shrimp (clowns thought it was feeding time)

Coral

mixed

9/3/14

image1_zps357f9dc4.jpeg

10/3/14ish

IMG_0015_zps1ed57f63.jpg

10/28/14

After coral con and a new camera the tank is starting to look much better. Coral con was a great experience. With such great products available i ended up with a full tank and empty pockets. i wont be adding anything new to the tank for awhile now

IMG_3708_zps006f5203.jpg

IMG_3705_zpse5f0b9a7.jpg

IMG_3822_zps329b40f5.jpg

IMG_3800_zps0edaac47.jpg

IMG_3712_zps81b208d7.jpg

IMG_3813_zpsdebf45b2.jpg

IMG_3774_zps2815cf15.jpg

IMG_3778_zpsfbbf25a6.jpg

IMG_3727_zpsea37b268.jpg

IMG_3726_zps23609740.jpg

IMG_3722_zps30fbc902.jpg

Excuse my poor camera skills. its the first time using the camera if anyone has any pointers feel free to share. im sure ill get better as i go.

Great start!

-Dave

thanks for the support. when i first started looking at lights for the tank i was going back and forth between yours and a few others. Just as i was about to email you on prices and what not one of your lights went up on craigs list andi must say i couldnt be happier with the out come. ive only had 2 issues with it.... first, which is not a big deal, i need a new case for the storm box i bought it cracked and second the 4 pin end of the cable that goes into the storm is broken so whenever i accidently touch the cable it shuts my whites off. How can i fix that issue? its quite annoying. i was actually going to email you for it sometime in the near future. please let me know so i can do what is needed to fix that.

here is a few pics on the other project ive been working on for my brother. With a background in landscaping we have all of the tools necessary for a full DIY system. We have quite a good amount of work left before we can get it wet but here is the progress so far....

The tank is a 53 gallon rimles 48x16x16 with 3/8 thick glass.

The stand has a 49x18x38 frame. it consists of 2x4 covered with 1/2 ich cabinet grade plywood with crown molding and floor board molding

The sump is a 20 long de rimmed we picked up from a LFS with a bubble trap after the drainsection, a 10 gallon refugium section, and a return section all done with 3/32 thick glass.

The overflow and returns is a glassholes.com 700 gph overflow which will go directly in the center with two 3/4 inch returns on either side

if everything goes according to plan the tank will be plumbed by the end of the week

IMG_3840_zps80842d5e.jpg

IMG_3849_zps75b136d4.jpg

IMG_3835_zps2d16e8b1.jpg

IMG_3839_zps4f84d522.jpg

IMG_3837_zps29417599.jpg

so we drilled the 53 gallon and layed a film on the back. its comming out good. ill have pics up by the end of the weekend but till then heres a few more of me messing around with the camera on my build

IMG_3877_zps6858a7bd.jpg

IMG_3885_zps051e64a1.jpg

IMG_3897_zps1df945ca.jpg

Hey- this is a cool thread- nice sump! your tank is looking great- I see you have some SPS and zoos at the same height - if you don't mind -could I say-drop your zoos to the lower part and elevate your SPS. I am not familiar with your lighting but it looks great. I just have to say - I would move that power toward the back of the tank- away from the curve- that can be an area that is weak in the aquarium and some have broke there. Not trying to scare you- as you know I have the same tank? looking forward to following along!

Hey- this is a cool thread- nice sump! your tank is looking great- I see you have some SPS and zoos at the same height - if you don't mind -could I say-drop your zoos to the lower part and elevate your SPS. I am not familiar with your lighting but it looks great. I just have to say - I would move that power toward the back of the tank- away from the curve- that can be an area that is weak in the aquarium and some have broke there. Not trying to scare you- as you know I have the same tank looking forward to following along!

thanks for the advice. I am currently messing around with the light settings to see what works best. if that's the case ill definitely be moving the power. I've read a few threads on horror stories with these tanks. Im praying i don't have any similar experiences.

awesome start and looks like you made out really good at coral con. that diy tank is going to be killer. following along

thank you. Coral con had some awesome stuff. i would recommend it to any one who's thinking about going. Corals you don't see normally at amazing prices

thanks for the advice. I am currently messing around with the light settings to see what works best. if that's the case ill definitely be moving the power. I've read a few threads on horror stories with these tanks. Im praying i don't have any similar experiences.

I hear ya- I am still a little nervous about the tank- that's what is stopping me from putting a powerhead in there now

I hear ya- I am still a little nervous about the tank- that's what is stopping me from putting a powerhead in there now

have you had any issues with flow?

so we drilled the 53 gallon friday after work and iced the back glass.. its looking bad ass. ill update with some pics sometime next week.

As for my tank I stopped at a LFS today and picked up a sexy shrimp and a mocha snowflake clown for cheap to pair with my current snowflake. i had to stick them in a QT tank for a bit so the new fish wouldn't get so beat up. As for the sexy shrimp.. even though i fed my clown before i introduced the new tank mates by the time i turned around my snowflake had taken him out. I guess that's another bump on the learning curve for me. Here's a pic of the survivor.....

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/danieladler90/media/IMG_3946_zps5eb8d1a6.jpg.html'>IMG_3946_zps5eb8d1a6.jpg

heres a few photo updates on the DIY tank. we cut out the door on the stand tonight and a few pics of how the tank looks drilled. really liking how the background came out on the tank

IMG_0433_zps474e4105.jpg

IMG_0437_zpsc86f8faa.jpg

IMG_0438_zps903041f3.jpg

IMG_0439_zps9b84de71.jpg

IMG_0440_zps976eec75.jpg

nicely done on the new build and your current 16.

thank you!

Ooooo! Another frosted background tank. I'm excited!

yea it came out much better then i thought! itching to get it wet

so a buddy of mine decided to finally give up on a tank that he has no time for anymore and told me i could have whatever corals i could salvage. seeing that he had some nice zoa colonies of rastas, la lakers, and bam bams i decided it was at least worth a try. i did a 30% peroxide dip for 5 minutes and have them in quarantine until i see that they are fully rid of the green hair algae. a whole bunch of nastys came out during the dip im just hoping it helps with the algae as well

IMG_0468_zps46e93d74.jpg

IMG_0472_zps491328e9.jpg

IMG_0469_zps703a27d3.jpg

IMG_0471_zps24b0d8bf.jpg

IMG_0465_zps6f6b9158.jpg

nice zoas to add to your collection. stand is turning out great.

thats if the zoas survive. they have some serious algae on them. thank you tho

have you had any issues with flow?

Hey there- sorry didn't see your question- I upgraded my pump to a Sicce1.5- 358gph and added two spin streams- this gives me good random flow which the coral really seem to love?

Hey- this is a cool thread- nice sump! your tank is looking great- I see you have some SPS and zoos at the same height - if you don't mind -could I say-drop your zoos to the lower part and elevate your SPS. I am not familiar with your lighting but it looks great. I just have to say - I would move that power toward the back of the tank- away from the curve- that can be an area that is weak in the aquarium and some have broke there. Not trying to scare you- as you know I have the same tank looking forward to following along!

so it seems some of my sps is starting to bleach a little at the base. im guessing you are right and its time to move them to the top! thanks for the advice!!

so it seems some of my sps is starting to bleach a little at the base. im guessing you are right and its time to move them to the top! thanks for the advice!!

Argh- that stinks! Hard to pin point one thing but that's a start- which ones are bleaching? How are your parameters- Alk, Ca and Mg.

finally got the new tank to the house and after lugging tons of buckets around shes up and running.

IMG_0790_zps643a564a.jpg

IMG_0789_zps96503a37.jpg

IMG_0788_zps158c9840.jpg

Argh- that stinks! Hard to pin point one thing but that's a start- which ones are bleaching? How are your parameters- Alk, Ca and Mg.

my parameters are in line. i turned my lights up some and moved it up so im hoping that solves the issue

Archived