Cultivated Reef

Nuvo 8 Gallon Project - Now HIGHLY equipped!

HotRodScamp

I left my 2 12-gallon Aquapods with my "ex" when we split about 3 years ago. I chronicled my build in this forum back in 2007

Full Tank Shot

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/112422-hotrodscamps-12g-aquapod/

The tank and system were so much fun to build. After a few years away I ran across an ad on Craigslist for a Nuvo 8 gallon from Innovative Marine. I went to IM's website and saw that they had a white version and I was positively hooked.

I dropped by my LFS and they had their last white Nuvo 8 for $200 with a $50 livestock credit.

Next day I went to my not-so-local Ikea to find a suitable stand. A Lillangen sink base was just the right fit! And in the "scratch-and-dent" room they had the perfect top for it for $5.

A quick trip to the hardware store for some supplies and home to build a stand for my new little tank!

Next day another trip to the LFS for sand/rock, water and a test kit, along with a few odds-and-ends. I filled the tank, no leaks. Put in almost 20lbs of Caribsea Fiji Pink sand and a 5lb rock. Nice rock. The LFS said it came from a customers tank, and it was much nicer than all the rest of the rock they had.

141028-tank-and-stand.jpg

141028-live-rock.jpg

Yes it is a nice rock. Alot of sand in there though. Maybe you like it like that... Did you clean the sand out really good? Lots of nasties can build up in there...

I like the deep sand bed for a couple of reasons. One, a deep sand bed can promote larger bacteria colonies and provide better natural filtration. Two, I am considering adding a goby/pistol shrimp pair, and the pistol shrimp prefers a deep sand bed for burrowing. I have read many discussions on using a DSB in an aquarium and there are usually very strong opinions for and against. I have had good luck with a DSB in the past.

And no, I didn't rinse the sand at all. The reason I use Caribsea live sand is to get the benefit of a head-start on bacteria colonization. Rinsing it would likely defeat that purpose.

I added a cleanup crew a few days later (10/13/14)

6 blue-leg hermits
3 Astria snails
3 Nassarius snails
1 Turbo snail
2 Scarlet red-legs
1 Orange leg hermit
141029-tank-and-stand.jpg

That's the 8w fixture that came with the Nuvo 8, Today I'm picking up my 95w AI Hydra 26. NOW I'll need shades to look at it!

Started getting some of my new tank goodies last night!

141106-new-goodies.jpg

That Tunze skimmer is going to be a TIGHT fit, if at all :(

The AI Hydra 26 is an awesome little light! Looking forward to spending some time setting it up.

.Today I added my new pump and protein skimmer. I just love unpacking new toys!

141108-tunze-skimmer.jpg

Not much room in the back of a Nuvo 8, but I managed to fit the skimmer.

141108-skimmer-installed.jpg

I still have an Apex Gold coming, and I think I'll be able to fit the 4 probes back there, but boy is it going to be a squeeze!

The skimmer started foaming right away, about halfway up the "foam reactor". I know the skimmer needs some break-in time (some say 2 weeks), but I think it's off to a very good start. And quiet as can be. I sit about 8 feet from the tank and I can't hear a sound from it.

I also switch out the pump that came with the Nuvo for a Cobalt MJ600. It gave significantly more flow and is also quiet enough that I can't hear it from where I sit.

The Apex controller should be here on Friday. Can't wait!

I've also spent some time dialing in my new light the AI Hydra 26.

141108-my-ai.jpg

6:00a 7:00a 8:00a 7:00p 8:00p 9:00p

UV 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Violet 1% 5% 50% 50% 5% 1%

Deep Blue 1% 5% 50% 50% 5% 1%

Royal Blue 0% 5% 50% 50% 5% 0%

Green 0% 5% 40% 40% 5% 0%

Deep Red 0% 5% 40% 40% 5% 0%

Cool white 0% 0% 15% 15% 0% 0%

I've also set the acclimation mode to 50% from 11/5 to 11/12 so these values will be reached at the end of the acclimation cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Apex Gold yesterday! Then spent the next 7 hours mounting, wiring, calibrating etc... Today I'll start with software setup. programming, etc...

Small box at a big price:

141122-apex_1.jpg

Lots of goodies in that little box:

141122-apex_2.jpg

Mounted inside my cabinet: Started wiring:

141122-apex_3.jpg141122-apex_4.jpg

Wiring from the back of the cabinet: Wiring completed!!!

141122-apex_5.jpg141122-apex_6.jpg

Before summer comes around again, I'm going for a JBJ Arctica Nano 1/15hp chiller! The tank is running 6-7 degrees above room temp, so 81-82 in the peak of the day. I think It'll have to live on the outside of the cabinet, though. Next up is a Ecotech MP10w ES for a little wave action in there!

Archived