Top Shelf Aquatics

First salty tank... 29 gallons of fun! Now 40 gallons!

SomethingIsFishy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SomethingIsFishy

What's cool about the stand I bought for the living room is that it has an open bottom. That means I can look up from underneath and spy on all the sand sifting critters in the tank! Never thought looking up at the bottom of a tank could be fun... ?

• 1 month later...
SomethingIsFishy

Tank is doing pretty well... Lost some zoas, some others closed up. Dialed the lights back a little and most of the closed up ones are fully open again... Will try to grab some pics in the next day or two...

SomethingIsFishy

DISASTER!!! Came home to an empty tank! Fish were flopping around in a few puddles of water in the bottom of the tank... Was able to take the fish and a lot of the coral back to the fish store. They will hold them for me until I figure out what to do... All this after delivering our first child seven weeks early on Tuesday evening... I am overwhelmed...

Oh man, sorry to hear that! The tank was looking great. Hopefully you are up and running shortly- that baby will need something to stare at, ha.

SomethingIsFishy

Having a hard time trying to motivate myself to put this tank back together... Cleaned and tested the powerheads, still good. Same with the hob filter. Petco's $1/gal starts tomorrow, 40b=$40. Still not excited... But I have fish and coral at the lfs... I dunno...

Oh, on a more positive note... Our son is doing very well!! I am totally excited about that!!

SomethingIsFishy

Whatever happened happened at the bottom of the tank. Seam split or crack I'm not sure, the tank is still sitting on my patio with the aragonite still in it. I have a feeling the stand was a little off...

SomethingIsFishy

Stand has adjustable feet, did my best to level it, thought it was good. I am thinking one corner may have settled just enough to pop a seam... Never noticed a change in water level though... Tank was about 14 years old, got one of those kits from Wally world when I graduated from high school. Stand was brand new...

I am sorry to hear that man, your tank was looking so beautiful too. You outta buy a new fresh tank when petco has the sale and keep the reef growing. Your kid will love watching the fish when they get a little older and it gives you time to get things off your head at the end of the day. Do you have any info on the petco sale? I tried searching but didnt see much

SomethingIsFishy

Got an email from petco on Thursday about the sale. My gut says "get the tank, you'll regret it later if you don't", but my head says "not excited".

Archived