ReefCleaners.org

First salty tank... 29 gallons of fun! Now 40 gallons!

SomethingIsFishy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SomethingIsFishy

Ok good, the pic worked ?

So I have a standard 29 gallon tank. Some dry rock, some live rock. 2 koralia 240's and one koralia 425 for flow. Current orbit light.

Picked up a few zoa and paly frags so far... They threw in what I beleive is a Kenya tree for free... Staying softy/ "low light".

Probably will do a pair of of occellaris for fish... (My wife wants a clown and I like them too...)

SomethingIsFishy

Thinking of going open top... No fish to jump (yet), better light penetration vs the glass top, better gas exchange. only downside I see is higher evaporation... Your thoughts?

Take off the glass top, you need the gas exchange. If your worried about evaporation, get an ATO. It's going to happen and is needed. Also get a net/screen top for any fish you fear might be jumpers.

Probably a dumb question, but should I be concerned about dumping saltwater from water changes down the drain?

Nah, it won't hurt anything. I serviced tanks for a lfs and we always dumped the water down the drain. I guess if every person in your municipality had huge tanks and did that a problem could arise...but I'm sure that is not the case.

Don't go hog wild. Usually you don't need as big a crew as the suppliers suggest. Nassarius snails are nice and maybe a hermit or 2. I love cleaner shrimp too. They have personality.

I have about 15 snails (mostly stomatella) and 6 or 7 hermits in my 29gal. I only have a little bubble algae but it stays on one rock in front so I feel they are doing a good job keeping everything under control.

Archived