Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Silly Hydor

jgaepi

Silly Hydor. I have owned a Koralia 240 for less than 3 months. It stopped working. Motor is buzzing but the impeller isn't spinning. Turns out, their US Headquarters is less than 7 miles away from me. Pretty cool? Not with Hydor.

I have been going back and forth about this $27 pump. I was kind of excited to drop it off for warranty service and check out their place. "Not allowed." Ok, how about I just drop it off for warranty. "Not allowed." Can I leave it in your mailbox. "No mailbox." Can I borrow one of Amazon's drones to send it over. "No comment."

They want it mailed in. 7 miles. Shipping is more expensive than gas. And close to the actual cost of the pump.

Having lived in Sicily, Italy for a few years, I have fond memories of dealing with Italian companies and businesses. I am being snarky.

So at this point I will just trash the pump and save my money for other brands.

Thanks Hydor!

Did you take the housing apart & clean the impeller's shaft? (it has a snap-tight fitting, no tools required). I've had to do this a couple times over the past three years (and once was due to exactly what you describe). 10-20 minutes soak in vinegar and maybe another 10 in peroxide followed by a quick scrub with a toothbrush and it's good as new. Don;t forget to spin the impeller a couple of times before putting the shroud back on... sometimes a tiny grain of sand/scraped coraline or general tank crud can seize it up.

There's really not much to go wrong with these little powerheads... next to no features mind you but sometimes simple works. Pity about the $hitty customer service, though.

Ask for a supervisor? I had issues a few years ago with one of their wave makers and the first

Guy I talked to was kinda rude. I asked to talk to

His boss and had a new setup in the mail that evening.

That's retarded.

I don't see why it is an issue for you to stick it in a box and drop it off to their service dept. I would think giving you a quick tour would be free publicity for them. They sell cheap fish tank toys, they're not manufacturing plutonium rods for nuclear power plants so I fail to see the reason for the whole "not allowed" stance.

The person you spoke to was probably drunk with powa! (that he doesn't actually have)

Like others recommended, call and ask to speak to a manager. If they can't sort it out, continue to do what you were planning, and write a detailed letter to their president. At the very least they should know how they are treating their customers. Unfortunately many times one individual can really mess things up on how we perceive companies.

Sorry to hear about your troubles :(

Archived