Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red bugs on acro, will acro crab die if I dip?

Smurf

Just got an acro from the LFS in a bundle deal.

Didn't look close enough to spot the red bugs..

I have a nice looking acro crab hosting the Acropora. Will dipping kill the little guy?

Are there any lower strength dips I could use to ensure he's okay?

Thanks!

Just got an acro from the LFS in a bundle deal.

Didn't look close enough to spot the red bugs..

I have a nice looking acro crab hosting the Acropora. Will dipping kill the little guy?

Are there any lower strength dips I could use to ensure he's okay?

Thanks!

i would try removing the crab and place him in a separate bowl while you dip the coral.

every time i dipped LR all the amphipods and copepods fell of the colony as well as red bugs.

I've also hear about dipping in higher saline water reading 1.035 to get the crab to inch off without hurting it.

The acro I got could be healthier so is it best to wait it out before I dip? I've got a tort about 10" away, whats the likelihood of these bugs transferring?

i would try removing the crab and place him in a separate bowl while you dip the coral.

every time i dipped LR all the amphipods and copepods fell of the colony as well as red bugs.

I heard that trying to scoot him off the acro will result in loss of limbs. I kinda want a zero casualty situation, this will be my last option however. Thanks!

I've also hear about dipping in higher saline water reading 1.035 to get the crab to inch off without hurting it.

The acro I got could be healthier so is it best to wait it out before I dip? I've got a tort about 10" away, whats the likelihood of these bugs transferring?

very likely. probably inevitable. i'd dip asap. and be gentle when you remove the colony so none of the redbugs fall off and have a chance to retreat back into the rockwork/other colonies.

if that does happen, redbugs can take over every acropora. and the only treatment with good results in treating the entire tank with interceptor, which seems like a nightmare. i've never done it. i've just been dipping.

Since its in your tank you need to dose milbemycin. They already have eggs nearby and some members on other corals most likely.

interceptor is out of production. The active ingredient is milbemycin, and is now in Sentinel. Sentinel also has luniferon which is a flea growth hormone analog - it prevents metamorphosis onto the adult, it is harmless and useless in a reef setting as far as I can tell.

I used Sentinel in my tank for Monti black bugs. It's not difficult, and there were 0 casualties, except for my pods. I removed my hermits and most snails during the 6 hour treatment. It will kill arthropods including hermits and acro crabs. Snails are harmed mildly. They will survive but if you can pull them out I would.

6 hours after addition do a water change, add carbon, turn the skimmer back on, and youre done for now. Repeat in 2 weeks. Your skimmer will go nuts btw. You will be emptying the cup hourly for a while.

Yeah I'd go with full trank treatment as well. I also use milbemycin oxime in QT, though I steer clear of luniferon for now just because it hasn't had long term documentation in reefs. Interceptor Spectrum is now available which is milbemycin oxime and praziquantel which has been used in reefs safely for a very long time (and at at much lower dose than has been used safely).

Archived