Coral Vue Hydros

SO's PicO 20G - New Peectures

seanoli

Tough decision. I don't have any experience with the Innovative Marine tanks but I like the dimensions of their 20. I went with the PicO because everyone on this forum that has one raves about the quality. I was definitely impressed when I got the tank and the service was absolutely top-notch.

The seams are perfect and they use a really nice textured acrylic for the rear chamber. The other thing I've noticed around the forums is that the rear chamber wall from some other manufacturers is thin and cheap. The wall on the PicO is quite thick and doesn't bow at all.

I went with clear silicone but I think it looks slick in black, too.

Just chiming in to say that this tank looks great! Love your PicO. I can also comment on the quality of PicO tanks. When I upgraded from my Nuvo 24 I was honestly stunned at the build quality of the PicO.

The quality is what's got me leaning towards PicO. But I like the dimensions of the Innovative marine one.

Time to get out that graph paper and decide that layout I would prefer. :happy:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just chiming in to say that this tank looks great! Love your PicO. I can also comment on the quality of PicO tanks. When I upgraded from my Nuvo 24 I was honestly stunned at the build quality of the PicO.

Thanks, man.

The quality is what's got me leaning towards PicO. But I like the dimensions of the Innovative marine one.

It might be worth having Chris @ PicO quote a custom with the dimensions you want. Sales are great and all but for something you'll have for a long time, you should make sure you get exactly what you want.

If you tell Chris what dimensions you are looking for he will build a tank to that spec.

If you tell Chris what dimensions you are looking for he will build a tank to that spec.

Actually... I'm sitting here bored at work and made some paper dummy tanks. :P

24 inches seems almost too long, and I like the extra 3 inch height of the PicO since I want gorgonians. Gonna confer with the BF once I get home. I can be very impulsive...

You guys should post some more pics to convince me!!

Okie dokie! I have some corals that have been acclimating over the last week or two and I wanted to get some input on placement. Here are the corals:

FTS (there's a monticap above the yellow fish now)

15681296058_6f9a8851a2_b.jpg

Acan

15682982957_eb26bf282f_z.jpg

I am thinking about putting the Cyphastrea on the RH rock toward the bottom crevice. Other than that, I don't know. What do you think?

I think your urchin is so cute! Love it's color!

Now you just need more corals covering your rock. :happy:

Thanks! I think it's pretty cool.

Where do you think I should put those corals?

I agree with putting the cyphastrea down low. Mine looks completely difference since I moved it from where it was getting too much light.

Acans can go almost anywhere but they look really pretty in the sand, either as islands or nestled against the rock.

I've found placing ricordeas to be a challenge, since they only stick where they like. You need a spot where there's not too much flow because if they get blown around they will let go and just blow right off the rock.

I agree with putting the cyphastrea down low. Mine looks completely difference since I moved it from where it was getting too much light.

Acans can go almost anywhere but they look really pretty in the sand, either as islands or nestled against the rock.

I've found placing ricordeas to be a challenge, since they only stick where they like. You need a spot where there's not too much flow because if they get blown around they will let go and just blow right off the rock.

Thanks! The cyphastrea is mounted where I mentioned earlier now and it's doing great!

Okie dokie. I have some questions for everyone.

Part 1:

A few weeks ago my water got really cloudy, to the point where I could barely see the back of the tank. It was sort of a milky color that came on over the course of a couple of days. I pulled some water out and put it into a white mug and it did not have a green tint to it. In hopes to taking care of the issue I added some Chemipure Blue to my media rack. A couple of days later the water has cleared up significantly. Everything seems happy and healthy (except for my crabby GSP).

Now, the water is almost clear but not crystal clear like I had in my previous tank. I can't figure out what is going on. Everything is still alive and here are my parameters (they've been pretty stead for the last few weeks).

Here's a pic (iPhone quality). It's sort of hard to tell but it just isn't as clear as I think it should be.

15353561424_c6abfea726_z.jpg

These are all Red Sea tests.

Salinity: 35ppm

pH: 8.2

NH3/NH4: 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 5

These may be inaccurate (more on that next):

Ca: 450

Mg: 1400

KH: 6.7

I'm using RO/DI water with 0 TDS.

Part 2 (Red Sea Test Kit Help):

So, I have a question regarding the titration syringe on the Red Sea Reef Foundation test kits. The instructions say to pull the plunger on the titration syringe until it is at the 1ml mark. It states that the fluid level will be between 0.85ml & 0.9ml but mine is always at or below .8ml (see below). What am I doing wrong here?

15975166082_0a5fdc88e4_z.jpg

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling to understand the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro tests! The good news is that it's actually really simple once you understand what's going on. Basically, you are calculating the amount of titrant solution put into the vial. So, if you start at .8 ml and end at .2 ml then you have used .60 ml of titrant. It's all about how much you use and not necessarily where you start.

However, especially for the calcium test, you might need to come close to using all 1 ml of titrant to get your results, so it's necessary to pull as much up into the syringe as possible. These videos indicate that if you leave the syringe in the solution for a little bit the pressure will equalize and allow the liquid to fill all the way up to the plunger.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. That's sort of what I've been doing so I'm glad that I'm not way off. I was messing up the Mg test because I wasn't repeating step one five times but I've since corrected that error. Now I just need to figure out why my water isn't pristine!

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be a bad case of hating-on-my-scape syndrome going around and I've caught the bug.

This has been lying on my floor for a few day now:

16134206486_8722d443a1_b.jpg

This guy's been super helpful through all of this.

15974141517_be1d9893b8_b.jpg

And to keep myself somewhat interested, I picked up a lobophyllia and a plate coral from ERC. They eat like pigs and it's awesome.

15973840359_29bcfb8bc9_b.jpg

15974142317_9899fe0ca9_b.jpg

That's all for now. I'm bored. :-/

What a cool dog! What is he?

Jury's still out. I've had him for five years and ever time I take him to the vet--the same vet--they guess something different. He's about 28 lbs and some sort of basenji, frenchie, chihuahua, wombat mix.

Jury's still out. I've had him for five years and ever time I take him to the vet--the same vet--they guess something different. He's about 28 lbs and some sort of basenji, frenchie, chihuahua, wombat mix.

There is such a thing as doggie DNA testing. If you've got money to burn...

There is such a thing as doggie DNA testing. If you've got money to burn...

Unfortunately, the bonfire in my tank is consuming all of my cash at the moment. :)

I've also read that those DNA tests aren't that accurate and often come back without a result. I'd rather have a nice coral frag instead.

Unfortunately, the bonfire in my tank is consuming all of my cash at the moment. :)

I've also read that those DNA tests aren't that accurate and often come back without a result. I'd rather have a nice coral frag instead.

I worked at a vet about... 3-4 years ago and they had just started doing them for about $100.

But yeah, nice frags are a much better investment!! ;)

Those are beautiful pics! I assume you used something other than iphone for those :)

Thank you! I have a 6-year old Canon Rebel Xs DLSR with a kit lens that I never learned how to use. I'm amazed at how the images turned out, especially since I didn't use a tripod. I'll probably set one up so that I can get a better read on the focus and hook it up to my laptop for better image previews. Unfortunately, this discovery has me looking at macro lenses.

Any recommendations on macro lenses that won't break the bank would be appreciated!

Seems your water cleared up nice..I had same thing happen in my tank when it was just few months old.Just got cloudy over few days then slowly went away in same way it came..I never found out what had happen.By any chance did you? I was thinking just a bacteria bloom in the early stages.But never sure.

Seems your water cleared up nice..I had same thing happen in my tank when it was just few months old.Just got cloudy over few days then slowly went away in same way it came..I never found out what had happen.By any chance did you? I was thinking just a bacteria bloom in the early stages.But never sure.

It's crystal clear now. It was quite cloudy for about a week. In the middle of that time I added some Chemipure Blue but I think it probably would have cleared up on its own. I think it must have been bacterial, but who knows, my parameters were perfect the entire time.

ya mine also thats why i was at a lost just watery milk looking tank for a bit......nice tank by the way

Thank you! It's a work in progress.

Archived