ReefCleaners.org

SO's PicO 20G - New Peectures

seanoli

Current FTS: March 7, 2015

16134972863_5801b975fe_b.jpg

Hello, everyone. Long time lurker here. I've really enjoyed seeing all of the amazing things everyone on this forum does with their reefs and I thought I'd post a setup that I'm getting started on in the next few days. I am looking forward to any and all constructive feedback and suggestions from this awesome community.

I started back in the hobby late July of this year after a very long hiatus...like, since childhood. I picked up a CAD Lights 8 with stock lights. It's a sweet little setup.

I thought I'd be all set with just corals but it turns out that I really want to have a couple of fish. I love the CAD Lights tank but I really want a little more real estate.

After reading all of the awesome reviews about PicO Aquariums on NR, and speaking with Chris at PicO (who is awesome), this is happening:

15538202549_d85b536223_b.jpg

It should be here this Thursday.

Equipment, so far:

PicO Aquariums 20G (clear silicone)

Modified PicO Stand (black)

PicO Skim 2.0

Stock Pump

PicO Lighting Mount

Radion XR15w Pro

Apex WXM

Cobalt NeoTherm 75W

Transferring from existing tank:

SmartATO

Apex Jr.

Substrate:

Reef Saver Dry Rock

CariSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

Chris made a sick mount for the Radion. Here's a pic with just a few finishing touches left:

15725642822_4dc7a0ddcc_b.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about the experience I've had with Chris at PicO. One of the main reasons I'm starting this thread is that I want to add to the list of PicO builds and make sure Chris gets the good press he deserves.

I'll post unboxing pics when everything arrives.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've already fallen down on the job of progress updates... Anyway, I received a notice that the tank was going to be delayed due to a truck not arriving on time at the UPS sorting facility. I gave good old UPS a call to see what was up and they informed me that a train had derailed. Nice. Fortunately, the tank arrived the next day, and despite massive hole in the outer box (and thanks to Chris's awesome packing job), it arrived unscathed.

I put together the stand which was fairly simple--just a lot of 'L' brackets' and used the leveling glides Chris found (an add on I highly recommend).

The build quality on the tank is outstanding. The silicone seams are perfect, the dividing wall is thick, textured acrylic, the media basket is great. All around: awesome. I will post some detail shots later.

Here are a few progress shots:

15538203999_121dc8b1e5_b.jpg

15538915737_a8383706f4_b.jpg

15104714143_83083da3e4_b.jpg

I still have some cord management to do on the light:

15724101485_da8ec29615_b.jpg

Everything was transferred over from the old tank over the weekend at the beginning of the month. Parameters have been stable for the last couple of weeks.

The scape is currently more jumbled at the moment due to the rock I transferred from the other tank but I intend for this to be roughly the final layout. Any thoughts?

Some interesting friends that I found on the live rock that was living in the rear chamber of my previous tank:

Looks sort of like a q-tip sponge.

15104717003_d1080107e1_b.jpg

This thing appeared in the previous tank before the xenia that matches in color. It's very similar but has branches (it also pulses):

15765783075_653f6086c3_b.jpg

Pulsing vid: https://flic.kr/p/q29LTD

I posted this on another thread but thought I'd add it to the build. The pincushion urchin taking the duncan for a ride:

15627389469_87d694c236_b.jpg

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.

I am new to the hobby, but could not have accomplished anything without the help of all of the wonderful members here on N-R.

It looks like you are off to a good start. Your duncan is beautiful, I sure hope your pincushion takes good care of him :scarry:

Good luck!

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.

I am new to the hobby, but could not have accomplished anything without the help of all of the wonderful members here on N-R.

It looks like you are off to a good start. Your duncan is beautiful, I sure hope your pincushion takes good care of him :scarry:

Good luck!

Thank you! I've been lurking on the site forever and the people seem great.

The duncan is probably my favorite because it eats brine shrimp. I pulled him off of the urchin shortly after I snapped the picture. I do not appreciate redecorating.

I have an urchin that likes to take things for a ride too, but nothing as big as that duncan!!

It was really funny because the urchin was just holding the duncan by the side of the frag plug and kept it completely upright while moving it around the tank.

It was really funny because the urchin was just holding the duncan by the side of the frag plug and kept it completely upright while moving it around the tank.

How considerate!!

Okay. I have this beautiful Idaho Grape monticap from Gena that's been acclimating and I can't decide where I should mount it. Any thoughts?

15681296058_6f9a8851a2_b.jpg

15866756711_76e47823d6_b.jpg

I was thinking on the left, mid-way down the taller rock.

In other news, what do you think of my new hat?

15240807373_3299b4c924_b.jpg

what are you feeding the clown goby? tank looks great man

Thanks! I like the scape you have going.

Clyclop-eeze at the moment, though it is starting to attack the brine shrimp now.

Great looking tank! Welcome to nr!

Thanks! Yours is looking pretty sweet too.

Any thoughts on placement for that monticap?

Nice tank!!!!! If it were me, I'd stick it on that left rock right above the clown goby. The growth on this tends to cup and I think it would look nice there :).

Nice tank!!!!! If it were me, I'd stick it on that left rock right above the clown goby. The growth on this tends to cup and I think it would look nice there :).

Thank you! Is this where you meant?

15690980329_9baeebd81f_c.jpg

Nice looking tank and great pictures! Following :)

Thank you! I checked yours out, the sense of scale with the rock work is dead on. Good stuff.

I had a few people ask how I built the media basket for my 8G so here's a mini build. Please note that I only went this route because there were not any aftermarket options available for my tank. This build came out to around $40.

Designed the basket based on the dimensions of my CAD Lights 8G in Sketchup:

15850633736_d379409a57_z.jpg

Flattened everything out so that I could export it into a format that Ponoko.com would accept to laser cut the acrylic.

15874450291_a0f6c33d35_z.jpg

The export process is sort of a pain because they have a limited number of formats they'll accept. I'm luck enough to have Adobe Illustrator so I converted it to a DWG then an Illustrator EPS file. After that it took a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Here's what it looks like when it arrives:

15683377947_5092063e5e_z.jpg

Peeled back the protective coating and voila!

15681625958_49a2c73f1a_z.jpg

The tiny piece in the top left fit into the notches at the top of the larger pieces with a small piece of airline tubing to seal against the false wall just beneath the skimmer teeth.

15256788353_65a943c698_z.jpg

I used Weldon 3 to bond the pieces.

15868514042_40b6d03d0c_z.jpg

Things to watch out for/things I'd do differently:

-I didn't take into account the thickness of the silicone holding the false wall in place so the basket is a little tight.

-The cross members on the trays are a little thin, I'd probably keep them at least 4-5mm wide based on an acrylic thickness of 3mm. The pieces are just a little too small

Considerations

-If you wanted to run chaeto it would be necessary to use clear acrylic or create some sort of a port in the back of the unit so that light can pass through

Very nice! It's really nice to see how you did this and I really appreciate you sharing what you learned. Maybe it's just the engineer in me but this is one of the coolest things I've seen posted on NR yet :)

Very nice! It's really nice to see how you did this and I really appreciate you sharing what you learned. Maybe it's just the engineer in me but this is one of the coolest things I've seen posted on NR yet :)

High praise! Thank you.

I'm really partial to orange, which I think adds to the coolness factor. :)

I had a few people ask how I built the media basket for my 8G so here's a mini build. Please note that I only went this route because there were not any aftermarket options available for my tank. This build came out to around $40.

Designed the basket based on the dimensions of my CAD Lights 8G in Sketchup:

15850633736_d379409a57_z.jpg

Flattened everything out so that I could export it into a format that Ponoko.com would accept to laser cut the acrylic.

15874450291_a0f6c33d35_z.jpg

The export process is sort of a pain because they have a limited number of formats they'll accept. I'm luck enough to have Adobe Illustrator so I converted it to a DWG then an Illustrator EPS file. After that it took a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Here's what it looks like when it arrives:

15683377947_5092063e5e_z.jpg

Peeled back the protective coating and voila!

15681625958_49a2c73f1a_z.jpg

The tiny piece in the top left fit into the notches at the top of the larger pieces with a small piece of airline tubing to seal against the false wall just beneath the skimmer teeth.

15256788353_65a943c698_z.jpg

I used Weldon 3 to bond the pieces.

15868514042_40b6d03d0c_z.jpg

Things to watch out for/things I'd do differently:

-I didn't take into account the thickness of the silicone holding the false wall in place so the basket is a little tight.

-The cross members on the trays are a little thin, I'd probably keep them at least 4-5mm wide based on an acrylic thickness of 3mm. The pieces are just a little too small

Considerations

-If you wanted to run chaeto it would be necessary to use clear acrylic or create some sort of a port in the back of the unit so that light can pass through

Ah, so this isn't being used in the PicO 20 gallon, right? I'm tempted to pick this tank up since it's on sale...decisions, decisions...

Ah, so this isn't being used in the PicO 20 gallon, right? I'm tempted to pick this tank up since it's on sale...decisions, decisions...

Nope, I made that for my CAD Lights 8G. The PicO 20 comes with a really nice media basket. I say go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Nope, I made that for my CAD Lights 8G. The PicO 20 comes with a really nice media basket. I say go for it! You won't be disappointed.

It's between the PicO and the Nuvo Fusion 20! I really like the look of your tank though!

Tough decision. I don't have any experience with the Innovative Marine tanks but I like the dimensions of their 20. I went with the PicO because everyone on this forum that has one raves about the quality. I was definitely impressed when I got the tank and the service was absolutely top-notch.

The seams are perfect and they use a really nice textured acrylic for the rear chamber. The other thing I've noticed around the forums is that the rear chamber wall from some other manufacturers is thin and cheap. The wall on the PicO is quite thick and doesn't bow at all.

I went with clear silicone but I think it looks slick in black, too.

Just chiming in to say that this tank looks great! Love your PicO. I can also comment on the quality of PicO tanks. When I upgraded from my Nuvo 24 I was honestly stunned at the build quality of the PicO.

Archived