Coral Vue Hydros

Converting a Deepblue 60G rimmed tank to rimless

dylan1464

So right now i have this tank just sitting in storage not being used.

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/dylan1464/media/adb18060_zpsdc6a3ebf.png.html'>adb18060_zpsdc6a3ebf.png

I'm curious if i can just take off the plastic framing and turn it into this

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/dylan1464/media/adb13660_zpsc25a0983.png.html'>adb13660_zpsc25a0983.png

Im wondering if its the same exact tank but without the black plastic frame. I really want to get this shallow tank set up. I want to go rimless and I'm really trying to not spend anymore money on a tank if i can just convert mine. Can anyone chime in or have experience in deframing this tank.

probably is you can check the mfg stats on their site I think somewhere. Fair warning though, easy way to ruin a tank if you don't derim right and its a pain in the butt to get all the silicone off which there is a tonnnnn.

60 gallons of water weighs 500 pounds.

Do you think the rimless glass can hold 500 pounds all by itself?

60 gallon rimless tank glass is 3/8" to 1/2" usually. Whats your tank glass thickness?

Thats as much for bowing and breakage as it is surface area at the joints.

500 pounds of water in carpet padding and carpet weighs 2 tons.

So right now i have this tank just sitting in storage not being used. adb18060_zpsdc6a3ebf.png I'm curious if i can just take off the plastic framing and turn it into this adb13660_zpsc25a0983.png Im wondering if its the same exact tank but without the black plastic frame. I really want to get this shallow tank set up. I want to go rimless and I'm really trying to not spend anymore money on a tank if i can just convert mine. Can anyone chime in or have experience in deframing this tank.
Tell me how thick the glass is and I will tell you if it's the same tank.

60 gallons of water weighs 500 pounds.Do you think the rimless glass can hold 500 pounds all by itself?60 gallon rimless tank glass is 3/8" to 1/2" usually. Whats your tank glass thickness?
The rimless 60 gallon is 3/8 glass and there known leakers. I had 1 leak and a replacement crack.

Here's a better idea.

Leave the rim on. Use it for a frag tank in the garage or spare room.

Or use it as a sump on a proper rimless tank.

I wish Deep Blue sold tanks over here. Seem like a fairly well made commercial product.

Tell me how thick the glass is and I will tell you if it's the same tank. The rimless 60 gallon is 3/8 glass and there known leakers. I had 1 leak and a replacement crack.

Well there you go.

The rim is on there for a reason, I guess.

/smile

You guys are making me worry the tank might bowl out and the seams might give. The tank will be going in my fish room to house some extra fish. Rather live with a rim around and have peace of mind then constantly worrying

Archived