Pod Your Reef

Predatory fungia?

Kalanianaole

Just got back after two days away and my very juvenile Pygmy Angelfish is nowhere to be found. After feeding, checking the floor, overflow, under rocks, and being completely baffled I notice my 3" fungia is sporting a bump that was about the size of the fish. The fish was in good health and eating fine Thursday afternoon when I left. No way it starves by Saturday evening, right?

The problem is, I can't diagnose what the heck happened. It's a 5 gallon* and the list of predators is down to two shrimp gobies, a porcelain crab, and a small pistol shrimp. Since I got him from LiveAquaria a month ago, he's been eating and gaining weight. Temp was at 76.8 when I got back, so I had to tweak the heater, but that's not about to kill a fish with everything else being just fine.

Pretty confused right now.

So did my fungia just prey on it? I've never heard of this but am I'm thinking something else had to have done it in, then the fungia just got a meal of opportunity. Thoughts?

*Not a forever home for the pygmy, but he was under 1.5" and the tank was ample for him right now. No signs of glass pacing or anything.

No Garfield or Fido. And the Spec V has a lid with a small strip opening in the middle, reducing the range he could have jumped but still explored every area in a 4 foot radius to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Archived