Pod Your Reef

One day cycle?

hwk7072

I am setting up a new 20g tank. I purchased 20 lbs of Fiji aquacultured live rock from a vat, along with some live sand from another vat at Premium Aquatics. Last night I added 2 drops of pure ammonia per gallon and this morning got a reading of between 2-3 ppm. This afternoon I got 0. It’s just the 20 lb rock, sand, and an Aquaclear AC30 with Purigen, Carbon, and sponge (primarily for the sediment at this point).

Should I crank up the ammonia a little and give it another shot? Or can I assume that since the rock and sand are already doing their job, as they’ve been in vats for weeks or months?

Did you test for nitrite?

Yes it has definitely gone through a cycle if there was ammonia present in the water column and there is now 0 present. Using adequate cured live rock can definitely shorten the cycle time as there are denitrifying bacteria present in the rock.

Maybe drop in some more ammonia, then test the levels a little bit after it's mixed up in the water. Then test again the next day.

If it's all live rock and there hasn't been much die-off, I think it's certainly possible to have no cycle.

Deleted User 8

Totally possible not to have a cycle if the rock and sand was well cured and maintained. If the transfer was quick and there is little to no die off, then totally possible. I would keep dosing the ammonia and see where things are though and to keep the cycle going.

Would I start throwing in the family jewels now? Uh, nope.

Buzz

It's also possible that the carbon in your filter is eating the ammonia. Most don't put carbon into the system until after the cycle and some only spot treat with carbon every once in awhile

Would I start throwing in the family jewels now? Uh, nope.

Buzz

Aw crap, I just did. Fishing them out now...

They had some fish swimming around in the vats, metal halides above, so yes, I imagine these are doing their thing. So cool to see this stuff in action. As they say on TV, "It really works!"

I'll take the carbon out - it's not much, but can't be too careful

Deleted User 8

It's also possible that the carbon in your filter is eating the ammonia. Most don't put carbon into the system until after the cycle and some only spot treat with carbon every once in awhile

Carbon (unless it has zeolite added) does not remove much, if any ammonia.

Buzz

So after I tested with ammonia at 0 I hit it yesterday with four drops ammonia per gallon. Tested this morning at 2ppm. Hoping for 0 again tomorrow.

Here are a couple pics of the live rocks. I'm wondering if it was a mistake to add that much ammonia, getting it up to 2ppm again. The first time, with 40 drops, the ammonia was gone in a day. So I followed that with 80 drops, and the ammonia is still around 2 ppm a couple days later.

However, one variable might be the Aquaclear filter with perigen, foam, and carbon, that I had on it the first time for sediment, which I do not have on it now. I had been using it in another tank, so the sponge filter may have had an established bacterial colony. I'm going to put it on again and see what happens.

Thanks

post-86134-0-69075600-1414673064_thumb.jpg

post-86134-0-65972600-1414673065_thumb.jpg

(No what?)

You wrote a question. One Day Cycle?The answer is No.

Here are a couple pics of the live rocks. I'm wondering if it was a mistake to add that much ammonia, getting it up to 2ppm again. The first time, with 40 drops, the ammonia was gone in a day. So I followed that with 80 drops, and the ammonia is still around 2 ppm a couple days later. However, one variable might be the Aquaclear filter with perigen, foam, and carbon, that I had on it the first time for sediment, which I do not have on it now. I had been using it in another tank, so the sponge filter may have had an established bacterial colony. I'm going to put it on again and see what happens. Thanks attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=144376]LR 1.jpg[/url] attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=144377]LR 2.jpg[/url]

I cant believe I still think there is real live rock out there.I just paid $170 to LA for 45 pounds for Premium Select Fiji Live Rock. Im still doing CPR on it, because it was DOA.

Im going to set up a few tanks, fill them with Johns reef saver rock and get it all covered in coralline, and sell it for $25 a pound 2 years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived