SaltCritters.com

Corals Growing, but losing color?

Reef_Ninja

Yeah, I pulled the wedgie out..............were good.

Im just not thinking that upping my feeding is going to help. A great example is with my large red chalice. Got it with a fairly large bleached out stripe................it looks great now. Why would one LPS improve, while others fade, under the same condition?

Ill work on pics shortly,,,,,,,,,gotta get some wine in first.

• Like 1

I ran LEDs of varying types for 3 yrs and have finally added t5 to the mix bc everything was losing color eventually. The t5s have only been running for 2 mos or so, but I have better coloration already without changing other parameters

Yeah, I pulled the wedgie out..............were good.

Im just not thinking that upping my feeding is going to help. A great example is with my large red chalice. Got it with a fairly large bleached out stripe................it looks great now. Why would one LPS improve, while others fade, under the same condition?

Ill work on pics shortly,,,,,,,,,gotta get some wine in first.

well my answer for that is not all lps are the same we just generalize using very poor ones at that. Goniopora for instance are often found in dirty dirty dirty water and are known to fare poorly in our systems for that reason. When I say feed more it isn't necessarily to feed 100% of what the corals will eat but to "pollute" the water a bit just to get the nutrients up from 0. a single broadcast feeding of something like reefroids would accomplish that if dosed the way they suggest lol.

I like to see some algae growth in my tank, but only enough that the cuc has something to munch on. Coloration in my tank has definitely improved as my system has matured aswell.

Also are your acans big and fluffy, they lose color from being fed too often and getting big essentially losing their density they have when small (think of a balloon, dark red when uninflated to a more pastel red when inflated)

I ran LEDs of varying types for 3 yrs and have finally added t5 to the mix bc everything was losing color eventually. The t5s have only been running for 2 mos or so, but I have better coloration already without changing other parameters

I actually thought about changing over to T5s but I don't think they make an 18" bulb. Depending on how these changes go, I may look at an 250 HQI. But I want to give these suggestions more time.

Halides imo are still the best lighting option out there. They are plug and play set it and forget it. I've simplified everything in this hobby as much as I can. I've been doing this since the early 90's and my methods have changed very little. We all start this hobby with the best intentions and through trial and a lot of error (at the exspense of the livestock) we find what works best for our inhabitants and individual needs. I run halides, feed heavily, have a bunch of fish, a deep sand bed, dose kalkwasser in top off, religious weekly water changes, gravel vac top layer of sand, run macro in a dirty fuge. My corals seem to love it.

• 4 years later...