Top Shelf Aquatics

Sudden retraction of GSP

cocojakes

I just upgraded my tank, but two or three days before the big move, my "large" GSP rock stopped opening. Yet the GSP pieces on my main rock, and the two frags on my frag rack opened fully still. Nothing had changed, everything was exactly as it was the day before. I have no clue what might have happened. There does appear to be a small aptesia on the back of the rock, and a bit of green hair algae showing up, but nothing that i would think to concern it? Now that I've moved everything into the new tank, most of my corals are back happy again, my various candy canes and duncans are yet to open fully, and my GSP rock still refuses to open

Any ideas? Could it have some kind of disease? Its a super hardy coral, i can't imagine I could kill it haha

Mine had done that before. I just left it alone and made sure the flow was good on it. About a week later it all opened back up. Hopefully you have the same experience.

This is pretty normal for GSP. I believe they do this before growth spurts and too allow detritus to be removed from their skeletons. Just be patient and they will open up again.

Archived