inTank Media Baskets

My first tank!

intr3p1d

I officially have my first saltwater tank set up. Yes, it is a nano and yes that kind of scares me because I know they can be harder to maintain and get working.
The entire system is 6.25 gallons, with about .7 of a gallon being used as an overflow filter that right now has an enzyme sponge, carbon, and biomax in it. I currently have two small no-name powerheads running at max and each is moving 40gph. With the glass top on and both powerheads running constantly, the water seems to maintain a constant temperature of 78 degrees F.
The two LED lamps are 3 watts each and have a pretty decent spectrum, probably enough for zoas and some other basic beginner-level soft corals.
I do know I need more live rock and will hopefully be getting some more today.
Any advice on filter media, mods, different powerheads/lighting etc? Pics below.

post-86147-0-11250900-1414346177_thumb.jpg

post-86147-0-73816400-1414345888_thumb.jpg

I recently set my first saltwater up, 5.5G. Its been really stable with chemi-pure elite, purigen, and filter floss, I change the floss weekly. I also grow chaeto in the top chamber of a HOB but I don't think its that necessary as it grows slowly and I always have 0 nitrate and phosphate.

Water changes are really easy with tanks this size so that helps keep it stable, I do a gallon a week which is probably a lot at 20% but its easy enough. What corals do you plan to keep?

Right now I'm planning on zoas (lets face it - we all love fruit loops) , assorted mushrooms, colt and a sarcophyton toadstool. Those I think are the only corals i could successfully raise with these weak lights - but once i upgrade to 2 fluval sea nano led fixtures I'm gonna go for some torch. Just put in my order for a koralia nano powerhead today, so my flow is going to be spot-on \m/

I think im just going to remove the petco cartridges and sandwich the purigen,chemi-pure, and floss between a couple blocks of loose foam and see how that affects the overflow portion of this tank. If I reach my wit's end with making the overflow work for me, I'm going to rip it out and hook up a small-ish canister that I'll service regularly.

With enough live rock, you shouldn't need any external filtration on a tank that size, in all honesty. With weekly water changes, you'll be fine. I'd make sure you have a strong enough powerhead though (grab one of the Koralia's off Amazon).

Archived