Top Shelf Aquatics

Cats and Tanks

FishFrog

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about moving my tank.

The house it is going to be in has what is claimed to be a cat, Mr. Truffles. This cat is a demon and I think not very far removed from his wild ancestors.

He opens a wide range of things and climbs inside and is an avid hunter/destructor.

What are the experiences of other cat owners with their aquariums?

The tank currently has a hood, but I am worried about him jumping on top and sticking his paws into the openings or opening the lid somehow.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

~ Hester

I have a young siamese/american short hair mix cat and while he has no problems getting into everything he doesn't even acknowledge my fish tank. I leave my aquarium topless with no problems. I would just make sure to keep anything he can climb onto away from the tank if you are worried about him trying to get inside. Cats hate water so I doubt you will have much problem keeping him out of your tank. They also hate sticky things on their feet so try putting double sided tape where you don't want him near.

Thanks for the input guys! I would like to put the tank where we can all enjoy it, and out of my bedroom.

The problem with the cat is also that it likes water a lot. It will sneak into the bathroom and run under the shower if you're in it.

I think I just need to arrange for a stand that is so sturdy that he won't be able to mess with it and maybe I can attach something to the hood, to prevent him from opening it.

I recently got a cat the spawn from devil himself he is into everything and finds the sumps fascinating. I have screens on all but one of my tanks my tanks and have caught him on top looking down more than once on one of my tanks. He has one particular tank that he loves it is the one without the screen he jumps put and touches the glass where the blue devil is. I do worry about him getting into the tank or the screen giving way and I have a wet salty cat. Squirting him with water hasn't helped but the sound of rattling paper does. I have put sticky labels on things, the first time it happened he acted like nothing happened until my son got up and he asked him to take it off. After that he figured out how to get it off himself. Now I find sticky labels all over the place (they are shipping labels).

I recently got a cat the spawn from devil himself he is into everything and finds the sumps fascinating. I have screens on all but one of my tanks my tanks and have caught him on top looking down more than once on one of my tanks. He has one particular tank that he loves it is the one without the screen he jumps put and touches the glass where the blue devil is. I do worry about him getting into the tank or the screen giving way and I have a wet salty cat. Squirting him with water hasn't helped but the sound of rattling paper does. I have put sticky labels on things, the first time it happened he acted like nothing happened until my son got up and he asked him to take it off. After that he figured out how to get it off himself. Now I find sticky labels all over the place (they are shipping labels).

Sounds like our cat! I am trying to decide whether to keep our nano cube or buy another larger AIO with a hood. Do you think that would keep a cat out?

My cat also likes to get into things. But he's also fat and can't jump very high.

For example, he loves to get up on the bathroom counter to drink from the sink whenever someone goes in there. I have to leave the toilet seat down, otherwise he'll fall into the toilet, when he jumps from toilet to sink counter.

Luckily, he's not young, thin, and agile, so he can't get up onto my tank. The worst he could do would be to stand on his rear legs, put his front legs on the stand and try to look into the tank. He's big, but I doubt he could knock anything over with his weight.

I would make sure to have a sturdy lid, and make it difficult for him to jump up on there - place it in a empty space with no furniture around, if possible.

Good luck!!

I bought a big tank with a sturdy lid. So far no interest, but then again it is still empty. Thanks for all the input!

For example, he loves to get up on the bathroom counter to drink from the sink whenever someone goes in there. I have to leave the toilet seat down, otherwise he'll fall into the toilet, when he jumps from toilet to sink counter.

My female cat does the same thing. It's not that she can't jump from the ground to the counter, she's just lazy. Whenever anyone goes into the bathroom, it's always run to the toilet, jump to counter, wait for someone to turn on the water.

I love that annoying creature.

Meow

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Wrong animal

Still cute!!

I held my cat up to my tank for a while last night since my fish were swimming around. My tailspot was VERY curious and kept swimming right up to the glass to check him out. Cat was very unimpressed.

Deleted User 8

I've had many cats over the years, once I had three at the same time. None of my cats have never been up on anything other than a lap. If no lap, it's the floor. They do have soft things to lay on, but on the floor. I can't imagine them crawling on my couner tops!

Although, I am one of those heretics who has an outdoor cat. She has her own door and she comes and goes as she pleases. She is 10 or 11 now and we have never had a litter box. She has never, not once, had an accitent in the house. Great cat--very vocal though. Sounds like a baby crying...

Can't imagine she would ever hop into a tank. She won't play with a laser pointer and pays little attention to such trivial things as a fish tank.

Buzz

My tank is one of my cats newest hobbies she was interested when it just had the little red head goby, when I added the two clowns the interest went way up. I replaced the glass lid with a screen just in case she thought she could get a better look from the top, so far she is happy sitting beside. Funny but the clowns seem to like her I think they think she has the ability to feed them.

When my cat is not occupied with tank watching she is busy with her other hobby, scratching the hell out of my nice costly furniture.

Just remember, cats are curious little assholes who are going to get into anything and everything. I think for the most part they are only curious in new things, when I first set my tank up our cat wouldn't leave it alone, after awhile though he couldn't give a shit about it. Our cat has jumped on top of it a few times, one time he decided to taste the water in the sump, that was basically the last time he decided he was interested in drinking the water.

I found that if the cat doesn't have somewhere to sit next to the tank, they won't pay as much attention. If I stick a chair in front of my tank, my cat will sit there and watch for hours, if the chair isn't there, she pays it no attention.

When I had tanks on top of a desk, she would sit by them all the time, drink out of it (freshwater tanks), and even take a couple swipes into the water but never successfully caught anything.

This is great - I love all the pictures! :D

I'm pretty curious now as to what he is going to do when it is all set up.

Archived